When will time be right to get an Electric Car?

so i bought out the Volvo and going to keep it until i move to a new house, which i will do as soon as i can.

i decided to stay in New Jersey but when grandma was alive me and her ( and her nurse ) were living in a 55+ community because grandma couldn’t use the stairs and we needed a house that was nice and flat and outside of “ranch” style houses ( which were all busted ) only 55+ communities offered that … and now that she’s dead i can finally move to a normal house so i don’t have to wave and say hi to boomer neighbors every day …

once in the new house depending on how the move went financially i will decide whether to keep the Volvo for an extended period of time or trade it in for a better Plug-in Hybrid.

i will NOT be getting an Electric Car in the near future.

but eventually it will be time to go electric - the question is WHEN ?

i am specifically waiting for TWO THINGS to happen before i can move to an EV:

1 - i want the promised migration of Legacy Automakers to Tesla’s NACS charging standard to actually happen. right now they keep saying 2025 but remember everything is always “next year” with Elon Musk. with Elon you have to adopt the " i will believe it when i see it " approach. my guess is it probably won’t happen in 2025 and may never happen at all … but time will tell … or maybe it won’t … maybe it will always be “next year” … either way it certainly isn’t happening TODAY thus it is not a good time to go EV today …

2 - i want Tesla to finally move to 800 Volt system … because right now all the best Legacy EVs like Taycan run on 800 Volt system but they’re supposed to all switch to Tesla’s system but Tesla’s system is the old 400 Volt - how does that work ? IT LITERALLY DOESN’T.

now Tesla did install a few V4 supercharger stations that are supposed to support 800V but so far nobody has ever used them at 800V. also Tesla says the Cybertruck is 800V … but how does that work if their charging network is still 400V, not to mention they started taking deposits for Cybertruck in 2017 or something and it has been coming “next year” ever since …

the Cybertruck also “finally went into production” MORE THAN ONCE already, but with Tesla that just means 2 or 3 of them were assembled by hand in a Tent …

so yeah when you can actually charge your Taycan at a Tesla Supercharger at 800 Volt that will be the time to go electric. right now you can’t charge your legacy EV at a tesla station ( even though Elon has ostensibly “opened up” his network ) and also right now all Tesla stations run at 400V including V4 which are supposed to be up to 1,000V …

what i’m getting at here is that now is not the time to go EV unless you’re getting a Tesla, and with Tesla you get a whole set of compromises in terms of quality, service and safety …

now to help the situation Mercedes is rolling out their own charging Network:

however they have so far only ONE station and they plan to complete their rollout by 2030.

this aligns pretty well with a few other dates like when EV drivetrains are expected to be cost competitive with ICE and also when ICE will be getting banned …

so probably by about 2030 the time will be right to go EV but it isn’t right yet, and probably won’t be right by 2025 which is what you would have expected if you took Elon’s word at Face Value but that is something you should never, ever do …

having driven a few nice EVs my takeaway was that the cars themselves are ready for prime time, but the charging network is not …

supposedly EVs now make up 15% of Mercedes and BMW sales and yet Gas Stations still out number EV Charging stations by such a wide margin that there is no sense in even trying to measure that margin …

quite simply we pass a dozen gas stations every day but we never pass an EV charging station unless we look for one - and that is really all you need to know

currently if you were to plug in a Taycan into a 400V charger it would take 100 minutes to charge, as opposed to 22 minutes to charge the Taycan on a 800V network and 3 minutes to fill up the gas tank in a Panamera, which incidentally would also give you 480 miles of range versus 270 miles on the Taycan.

but the fact we even talk about range at all is proof that the charging network simply isn’t there. nobody cares about the range of ICE ( internal combustion engine ) vehicles because we are rarely more than 5 miles away from a gas station.

considering how slow charging is in real world conditions today ( not the theoretical 22 minute speed in the land of Unicorns ) there should be 10 times more charging stations than gas stations to meet the demand - but instead there are hardly any …

when these things change and IF they change - it will be time to get an EV. and if ICE ban comes around and the situation hasn’t improved used ICE cars may become quite valuable assuming gas stations are still allowed to operate.

it does depend on where you live and where you plan to drive.

for example there are many 800V charging stations along I-95 that runs through New Jersey alongside Manhattan …

but there are NONE in NYC itself and NONE on the way to Atlantic City for example …

so with a car like Taycan it isn’t so much a question of how far you need to go but WHERE you are going …

with an ICE car that isn’t a question - when i drove from NYC to California i hit a patch of desert with about 100 miles without gas stations and i had less than 100 miles of range left so i actually had to turn around to fill up … but that was just me being stupid for not filling up sooner - the car itself had plenty of range to cover that 100 mile gap, had i filled up when i passed the last gas station.

with an EV you might find yourself taking such detours a lot more often and through no fault of your own …

Regarding moving: At some point I will probably move again, but right now with mortgage rates around 8% I really don’t want to do it. The problem is I don’t know how long this situation will go on for – a lot of people think that the Fed will adjust interest rates back downward soon. The problem is they’re retarded: the Fed Chairman has literally been contradicting that for months (no reductions, possible increases if necessary because of persistent inflation).

In some cases it is possible to get new houses where the builders buy down the mortgage to around 5.5% for the term of the loan, IIRC. That’s probably what I’d look for if I had to move right now. Meanwhile owners of older homes still want 2022 prices with these insane rates.

EDIT: Sorry for semi-off topic reply but it is relevant to the subject and I think you covered the reasons for not buying an EV now pretty well – it’s a matter of the charging network not the vehicles themselves.

want to be my Tenant in NJ ? LOL

i want to buy an average size house designed for a normal family ( 2 parents + kids ) but instead of wife and kids just rent out the extra space …

i once stayed at a house where a kid who owned it had like 5 bedrooms and every bedroom was rented out to a hot college chick - literally the entire house was hot chicks and this one nerdy little 100 pound owner dude, who was a Boeing Engineer ( this was in Texas if i remember correctly ) …

i thought to myself - what a fucking pervert ! this is disgusting ! a nerdy bitch like him shouldn’t be allowed to look at girls !

but then many years later i realized well, what are the options ? somebody has to pay for the house. unless you want to live in an Apartment, in which case you get no basement, no garage and you are now living in a Hood.

one option is of course sell everything including the car and move to a NYC or SF “apartment” ( closet ) and just be happy standing on the bus / subway with Negros or riding a bicycle like a faggot …

but if you want to live in a nice, clean, white neighborhood you will need a house designed for a normal sized family and thus two middle class incomes …

for a lazy bum like me who doesn’t want to work the only solution i came up with is rent out the extra space …

of course i would try to find some girls to rent rooms but i am not actually looking to have sex with them - i just think women are easier to control because their instinct is to submit to and please a man whereas a man’s instinct is to compete with and fight other men, which is definitely not something i need.

plus even though i’m not conscious of it i think sharing a house with women might be better for my mental health based on even just smell / pheromones.

the problem is EVERYBODY is looking for young girl renters so realistically i would only be able to charge them PEANUTS for rent as they would have many other options.

i would probably be able to charge good money from some filthy boomer who would make my life so miserable i would wish i was living in a studio apartment instead.

renters cause many issues - avoiding those issues takes precedence over getting the highest rent.

1 Like

I wouldn’t get an electric cars until electric cars have a higher share of the market than gasoline cars. IMO electric cars are still overpriced, overhyped, overengineered shitboxes that have no real value proposition for everyday use compared to gasoline cars. The market agrees. The plug-in hybrid you have already gives you the best of what an electric car has to offer and doesn’t have the flaws, hence why it has held its value very well compared to them.

1 Like

i answered here: