What should you teach your children?

here is the deal @marlon … you are an intelligent, knowledgeable guy and probably think you have valuable knowledge to teach and you do.

i also consider myself an intelligent, knowledgeable guy and think i have valuable knowledge to teach and i do just that.

here is the problem though … when i teach somebody it isn’t because i love them … it’s because i love myself. i am USING them to feel better about myself and my knowledge. when they tell me that what i said was interesting i think “that’s right bitch, because i am amazing” i don’t think “wow i am so glad i was able to help this person get ahead in life”

so when we’re talking about teaching your kids we have to ask - who are you doing this for ? are you teaching them for THEIR benefit or for YOURS ? are you teaching them because it’s something they need to know or because it’s something you want to share ?

in the movie “No Country For Old Men” ( 2007 )

at a certain point one dude is about to execute another dude and asks the victim “if your rule brought you to this, of what use was the rule?” …

the point being we all have some principles that guide us and we all obviously believe in our principles but we don’t all get the outcomes we would like … at which point one might reasonably ask if our guiding principles are maybe flawed ? yet nobody actually asks that. instead we simply keep believing that our principles are infallible because it is simply not physically possible for us to question ourselves on that deep of a level. it is not quite possible to question one’s own identity so to speak - you would lose your mind.

it’s like a game of chess but instead of thinking a certain number of moves ahead we’re talking about thinking a certain number of moves BACK. we deconstruct the chain of events, the causality of it, what lead to what - and we try to find where we went wrong. but when we do this we never go ALL the way back. everyone has a limit to how many steps back they can go. well i don’t, but most people do.

an animal can only go one step back. if doing something hurts they won’t do it again. an average person can maybe go two or three steps back. so if they buy something and it’s trash they are able to not just say i won’t buy this again but maybe they will be able to say “next time i will read the reviews” which is going 2 steps back because they didn’t just acknowledge the bad choice but also asked what led to that bad choice ( not reading reviews ).

but ultimately we won’t go all the way back and stop at some depth deemed good enough.

and when we teach our kids we will teach them to avoid the superficial errors that were 2 or 3 steps back that we were able to analyze … but when it comes to the real fundamental stuff “the rule that brought you here” so to speak … we have never analyzed it, and we will indoctrinate our children into the same flawed rule that has fucked us over so that our children will get fucked over too, but maybe in a slightly different way because they won’t repeat our EXACT mistakes, but rather different but similar mistakes.

the point is this - would you rather be yourself or Andrew Tate ? i would rather be Andrew Tate. my kids would rather be Andrew Tate too. but as long as i am the one teaching them they can only be me.

so i hate my own life, and love my kids, but by teaching them i condemn them to my life which i hate. because while i may warn them against the individual mistakes i made they will never be faced with those exact problems. they will be faced with different problems. they don’t need trivia - they need a good rule to live by. and since i’m not Andrew Tate it means my rule wasn’t very good, and i can’t teach my children what they actually need to know.

A bit of both…I hope to God it is more for their benefit than mine…but I am biased.
It isn’t purely ego…I do want him to benefit from my experience and surpass me…but there is a limit.

And the limit is me…or as my son would say my genetics.
To be Tate you have to have the Tate genes.
I don’t live in the Greek era where my son could be tutored by one of the greats, and it is a bit late for that.

The closest thing to bring him away from me and closer to Tate et al is the internet -which is not the same as having a example of success to apprentice from.

so i hate my own life, and love my kids, but by teaching them i condemn them to my life which i hate. because while i may warn them against the individual mistakes i made they will never be faced with those exact problems. they will be faced with different problems. they don’t need trivia - they need a good rule to live by. and since i’m not Andrew Tate it means my rule wasn’t very good, and i can’t teach my children what they actually need to know.

This is something parents struggle with…you have to avoid condemning your own kids for not being great if you neither had the genes or the support for them to be so.

I had this conversation with him in an odd way not too long ago.
Me: I want you to succeed, overcome me, rise up…not have to put up with work crap like me etc.
Him: But when people have children, you want them not just to resemble you but to be psychologically similar to you. If we are too different, how can we relate? How can you pass on anything?

Mission Impossible/Very Difficult: to be similar enough to have something useful to give/relate etc. to your children yet for them to be sufficiently different to transcend what you’ve given them.

The Greeks had tutors and we lie and say “No boundary! You can be anything you want to be!”

Damn. If I figure out something I’ll let you know.
Well, what I have done is accelerate life experiences: going to university quicker, learning to drive more quickly, counsel from more successful (yet roughly-analogous to me) cousin…but speeding up the cycle isn’t enough.

I’ll work on it.

maybe get him to Travel ? but not to Turd World shitholes like Liberal College Girls visit to get raped by black and brown men …

but rather to places like Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Switzerland, Netherlands and so on …

i know personally even though i don’t like to travel it is the most potent antidepressant for me …

when you’re in one place you feel like your options are limited but when you travel ( not to a tropical beach, but to some place where things happen, in my case i traveled to Silicon Valley for example ) you feel energized …

your options DON’T ACTUALLY INCREASE - with the right mindset you can make it anywhere and vice versa - but rather it is the EMOTIONAL / PSYCHOLOGICAL effect that makes you FEEL like you were born again …

remember Calhoun’s mouse utopia ? they all died out because they weren’t exploring. when you travel you feel the opposite of what those mice felt. it is only psychological because with the internet it doesn’t really matter where in the world you are, but if your problems are psychological to begin with maybe worth a shot.

and even if it produces zero benefit in terms of finding yourself or a new career or whatever ( i got no such benefit from living in Silicon Valley for a year ) it’s still a cool experience and i don’t regret it and my life would have been even more worthless if i haven’t done it.

also when people spend too much time together they begin to resent each other. some time away will actually make them look forward to meeting again.

of course this is an expensive therapy, but in my experience it’s as much fun as doing ecstasy.

again - i don’t mean traveling to some tropical beach for sex. i mean traveling to some center of civilization where exciting things are happening.

Maybe next year.

1 Like