Movies that were much better than i expected

Nice.
So many movies to watch…so little time.

1 Like

my concern is sort of the opposite.

i’m going at a “burst” rate right now and at this rate i will run out of movies to watch pretty soon.

some people would slow down to delay this inevitability but i am going with the “it’s not the years in your life but life in your years” approach here.

my personality is to go straight to the top and then spend the rest of my life being depressed about having all the best times in my past. i never employed the “saving the best for last” approach.

i use the same approach when it comes to knowledge as well. i always go straight for the most horrific, most unthinkable truth. most people pace themselves such that they seem to learn something every day yet still make it all the way to old age and death without understanding anything they might not want to understand.

i guess i fundamentally never believed in the future since my sister died when i was a teenager. she died while working on her PHD and she married only a few months prior. she spent 20 years preparing for a life which simply never came. by the time i was her age a few years later i was doing steroids, hard drugs and alcohol not because i was depressed but simply out of belief that life happens in the present, not the future.

but as with all things i got tired of those after about 2 years and my life has been more or less empty since then.

i fully expect the same thing to happen with movies - i will probably be done with them before TV warranty runs out. but sadly not within return period because this time the TV is from Amazon, not Costco and Amazon doesn’t have such a generous return policy. i haven’t even checked what the return period is as i am not planning to return it.

i’m just going to keep watching movies until none are left to watch and then the TV will basically become a very expensive paperweight … but i don’t see any other options.

I am sorry to hear that…delayed gratification didn’t work out there.
My younger sister, alas, studied her youth away…she is the favourite child…and won’t be able to produce offspring. No grandkids from her…

Movies…
I am not saving up anything…just too busy to watch during the week.
I have American Psycho and three Korean movies - Masquerade, Montage, and Memoir of a Murderer to watch but the time…

Delayed gratification…life of a middle class married man…
before the kids more gratification less delay.
Part of the price you pay.

i’m just going to keep watching movies until none are left to watch and then the TV will basically become a very expensive paperweight … but i don’t see any other options.

Really…video games perhaps?

not interested in video games, but i expect the film industry to pick up pace …

making and distributing movies is easier than ever thanks to digital cameras, digital editing and streaming …

and besides, since we’re going to be under permanent lockdown they will have to feed us some kind of entertainment …

we can’t all watch sportsball like boomers !

Please…no!! :sob: :sob: :frowning_face: :weary:

1 Like

Voyagers ( 2021 )

this movie isn’t groundbreaking by any stretch of imagination but it’s not bad IMO - certainly not as bad as the ratings suggest

better than anything Nolan will ever make as far as i am concerned

also it stars Johnny Depp’s daughter who looks OKAY but i expected better …

basically the plot is that a group of children is grown in test tubes and then raised in a controlled environment in order to be sent to space to colonize a planet that will take 3 generations of space travel to reach …

mission planners do everything they can to make sure these kids don’t start melting down and turning on each other … but predictably, their plan fails in a spectacular fashion !

the film clearly is a remake of something like 20 other movies from Space Odyssey to Das Experiment and everything in between … but i’m OK with that …

they have two sexy girls in the movie and the movie is not completely brainless so that’s good enough for me !

maybe the biggest knock against this movie is that it could have been better. the movie feels very rushed - it skips from one plot point to the next without taking breaks in an attempt to make the plot fit inside 2 hours mark. on one hand i’m glad i was able to finish the movie before sunrise ( birds were singing towards the end of it, but it was still dark ) … but on the other hand it might have been better as a 3 hour movie with some more character development and some more sex …

considering that the plot is that it’s a ship full of genetically superior young people i was expecting more sex, which is why i watched it in the first place, but as always i missed the part that it’s a PG-13 rated movie …

still, i don’t regret watching. it was reasonably sexy for a PG-13 movie, never boring, not too predictable, somewhat intelligent - all in all i enjoyed it and recommend it, especially for younger people since almost all the characters in the movie are about 20 years old …

best i can explain it is that if you never see this movie you will be perfectly OKAY because the ideas covered in it are also covered in many other movies …

BUT it does have ideas in it and aside from being aimed at teenagers and having very rushed pacing is actually pretty decently made …

the average rating on MovieLens is just 2.8 and it predicted only 3.0 for me, but i’m going to actually give it 4.5 stars … i just liked it, i’m sorry !

perhaps another knock against this movie is that basically everything is stated very plainly like in “Snowpiercer” ( 2013 ) without really asking the viewer to try to understand anything … this i think is in part because it’s a PG-13 movie and in part because they tried to keep it short. As i said before it could have been a 5 star movie if it was a 3 hour long R rated movie instead of a 2 hour long PG-13 rated one. they really pushed to keep it simple and short … which is sad but an understandable choice.

this movie reminds me of “Oblivion” ( 2013 / Tom Cruise ) in the way it doesn’t have a serious feel but actually examines serious subjects.

i’ll take that any day over a movie that tries to be serious but is a joke like most Nolan movies, though i would have preferred if it was serious in both substance and presentation.

while watching i kept thinking that if this movie was shot 50 years ago it would have been a classic, but because all of these ideas have been previously explored and they are beating a dead horse at this point perhaps it was appropriate to not try to be so serious about it …

don’t know if you can tell but i prefer new movies to old ones. just as i prefer new music to old music. just as i prefer new everything to old everything. i make a very shitty conservative maybe because i’m not.

Her mum isn’t very attractive…that’s why…

As for movies, go Korean…do it…do it…

1 Like

she does look pretty much exactly like her mother ( mother on left, daughter on right )

Johnny did contribute his eye color …

i’ll watch a Korean movie if you watch “Voyagers” …

though i probably will not watch “Mother” because as you know i don’t really believe in family.

i can only watch movies where family is depicted as completely dysfunctional ( like my own ).

i can’t watch a movie where parents love their children because i find that insulting to intelligence - it’s like asking a Palestinian to watch a movie about Americans saving the world from Terrorists …

i recognize that others may have different life experience, some may even be parents themselves :wink:

but when the movie description is mother protecting her son that’s a no-go for me.

but i’m a fan of Korean movies otherwise and i have a whole bunch of them here including most of the ones you mentioned.

“Voyagers” shouldn’t be as hard on you as “The Killing of a sacred deer” … even though both movies are about a sort of family infighting it’s a more clean cut PG-13 movie and i don’t think it will give you PTSD …

All right…I’ll watch Voyagers with that bobblehead Depp kid.
Mother…let’s say that the “love”…watch it…
Or watch the others first.

“Voyagers” shouldn’t be as hard on you as “The Killing of a sacred deer”

Thank you!
I watched a movie about a dementia suffering serial killer that was less depressing than the Deer!

1 Like

deal :slight_smile:

i know which one you’re talking about. probably not going to watch that one either.

think i will start with this one:

https://movielens.org/movies/158783

it’s not one of your recommendations but it’s Korean :slight_smile:

i want to watch it because it is “erotic” …

may watch yours later …

Yeah…I read the IMDB description. You should enjoy it.

1 Like

i will watch another Korean movie maybe tomorrow because i feel like 1.5 stars i gave “The Handmaiden” on MovieLens is not representative of Korean Movies in general …

as i wrote in my review the only reason i gave “The Handmaiden” a low rating is over the top misandry …

anyway it’s not your fault i was going to watch “The Handmaiden” anyway …

hope i will have better luck with the next Korean movie hopefully tomorrow …

EDIT: 4 stars

watched 25 minutes and had to stop because i was too scared !

it was 2 AM and i have to go to gym at 5 AM ( when it opens ) and i realized if i finish the movie i will go to gym with so much adrenal fatigue i will drop the bar on my head while Olympic lifting and fucking end up disabled …

the movie was just so fucking stressful to watch i knew i would have nothing left for the gym if i kept watching it …

lifting isn’t just muscular - it’s psychological too … you can’t go in there emotionally wrecked and expect to have a good workout …

well, i can do an easy machines-only workout on a shit day but i have already had like 3 days off from training and today isn’t supposed to be an easy workout day …

i will finish watching it but not today …

EDIT: finished watching. 4 stars.

watched 25 minutes and had to stop because i was too scared !

:rofl: :rofl:
I didn’t know Russians got scared too!

1 Like

“unsane” ( 2018 ) surprised me in a good way so i moved it to this thread.

i was expecting it to be quite bad but i really enjoyed it.

sure it was improbable at times but it’s a fucking movie. overall i feel this movie is under-rated. it felt like a high class film to me. maybe it’s just me personally that this movie speaks to for whatever reason.

don’t want to go into what it was about in case you decide to watch it.

as for Russians not getting scared … we’re only human bro ! anyway i wasn’t scared in the sense of having to suck on my thumb but i could feel stress hormones building up in my body and i know from experience once this happens your workout is fucked.

a lot of mentally ill people with roid rage in the gym and sometimes they get in your face and you get this release of stress hormones and after that you can san goodbye to the pump and all your timing on all the technical lifts and on butterfly will be whack as well.

you need to start a workout after a good night’s sleep, a good meal, having given it enough time to digest, you must feel comfortable and relaxed and slowly build up intensity such that your body’s energy levels are raised evenly and everything remains in balance and proper tune …

on the other hand if your muscles are cold but but your stress hormones are through the roof - forget it - you’re out of balance.

even worse is if the stress hormones deplete all your energy before you even make it to the gym. then you’re out of balance and out of energy too. can’t get a pump, can’t coordinate any movements and can’t lift anything either.

only thing you can do at this point is just go through the motions with easy machine exercises to clear the remaining stress out of your system but that just gets you back to square zero of feeling normal. the workout is basically wasted.

sometimes that’s unavoidable and it’s fine because not every workout needs to be good. Poliquin had this down to a science but basically some workouts are great, some are shit and most are just fine and that’s just how it is - no need to stress over this.

but if you can avoid having a shit workout obviously you do what you can towards that end.

anyway i was able to avoid that fate - workout was great. so was the movie.

Hesher ( 2010 )

just finished watching - i loved it LOL

this movie was supposed to be retarded - i watched it because it has Natalie Portman in it …

well, that was a good call.

it is not a completely serious movie ( duh ) but it’s a lot more serious than i expected … with a healthy dose of retardation as well :slight_smile:

overall a good mix of comedy and drama, good vibes and darkness …

just really well made. little boy’s acting was great.

4 stars.

Walkabout ( 1971 )

4 stars

i expected a cheesy movie about how aboriginals are better than white people and only wanted to watch it because the girl was pretty and nude in multiple scenes.

the movie exceeded my expectations - surprisingly it was neither cheesy nor anti-white, instead it’s an art film that is moderately romantic / erotic but never soppy or vulgar. very tasteful.

this movie contrasts tradition with modernity, nature with cities, reality with fantasy, beauty with ugliness, cruelty with kindness and so on …

apparently it won the Cannes Film Festival in 1971 and i think that’s well deserved.

10 Cloverfield Lane ( 2016 )

the movie was HOT. it genuinely felt like a nightmare.

sexy, creepy, bipolar …

not particularly realistic - but what nightmares are ?

a movie like this will never be accepted by critics but it’s a work of art in an “it’s so bad it’s good” kind of way.

this is a PG-13 movie but it feels like it is meant for an R audience. they simply edited it to be PG-13 because it has to fit in with the rest of the “Cloverfield” franchise which is PG-13 … but this particular “chapter” really would have been better off as an R movie if it was stand alone.

i have no intention of watching the other “Cloverfield” movies at this time as they are supposed to be not as good, done by different directors, have a completely different subject etc …

but i do recommend this one.

i have to note there is strong similarity between “Unsane” ( 2018 ) and “10 Cloverfield Lane” ( 2016 ) and i think it has a lot to do with the fact that they came just 2 years apart …

nobody will ever care about either of these two movies yet they are better than pretty much any movie from the 20th century …

even though these two movies were never supposed to be good they are 3-dimensional in a sense whereas 20th century movies are flat … and this is simply due to them being modern. same as modern video games are 3D while classic video games are 2D. what i mean by that is that the plot and characters and acting all have more depth in modern films, yet nobody wants to admit this.

there is a huge bias where people glorify old movies simply because more people had a chance to appreciate them while nobody cares about new movies since old farts would rather keep re-watching old films due to their dementia …

you have to be conscious of this bias … it also exists in all other areas not just film

to give you the ultimate example - Bible - it is objectively not a very good book. but it’s really old and a lot of people know about it so it’s considered great. older movie classics are like that too.

movies like “Unsane” ( 2018 ) and “10 Cloverfield Lane” ( 2016 ) are the opposite. they are good but will never matter because they came out in a period of time where other films are better.

we judge greatness of a film by comparing it to other films of its era - that’s grading on a curve. you have to be aware of this curve.

old movies suck. OBJECTIVELY. the only old movies i respect are ones which correctly predicted the future.