Movies that were completely different from what i expected

The Beautiful Troublemaker ( 1991 )

3.5 stars

I expected a run of the mill story of an old guy falling for a young beauty blah blah blah …

but it wasn’t long before i realized this movie was FOUR HOURS LONG ! ! !

and ultimately it wasn’t about anything at all ! ! !

on one hand i respect this movie for being very un-Hollywood like …

on the other hand you should probably save this one for your retirement, because it is REALLY FUCKING LONG

and when i say it’s long i don’t mean that it’s boring but rather, you must completely give up on your own life before you can take FOUR HOURS to immerse yourself into the life of fictional characters like this …

so in conclusion i enjoyed this movie and i respect it, but i can’t recommend it due to how long it is …

i had no idea it was that long when i started watching …

it’s actually in two parts ( i think the first part was 2 hr 14 min or something like that ). so they probably intend for you to watch it over 2 days. i actually watched it over 3 days.

of course i’m joking when i say the movie wasn’t about anything at all. it was actually about many things, but oddly enough beauty or even love wasn’t really at the center of it even though all the women in the movie are beautiful but that’s just because it’s a French movie …

oh yeah, it’s in French - you have to read subtitles. but i actually prefer that in a language i can partially understand. makes it more interesting.

Young & Beautiful ( 2013 )

4 stars

a French movie about a teen prostitute …

i thought this would be an Erotic movie with some European flair to it …

instead it’s a mostly serious French Indie film with an extra dose of sexiness …

just like in “The Beautiful Troublemaker” nothing much actually happens, just a very good looking girl that is naked a lot …

but whereas “The Beautiful Troublemaker” is 4 hours long and trying too hard “Young and Beautiful” is only 1.5 hours long and is overall better done.

i was experiencing technical difficulties ( very significant stuttering of video ) which i am frankly furious about so i wasn’t able to properly experience the movie emotionally, but intellectually i can say the quality of the film is very high.

i debated putting “Young and Beautiful” into “movies that were much better than i expected” thread but frankly my expectations were pretty high - it’s just that i expected it to be an erotic movie, and it turned out to be more like a drama but not overdone.

who can you watch this movie with ? well not your wife or kids and probably not your friends either. would be a good movie to watch with your GF probably. alone is fine too. or your GF may even watch it by herself without you LOL.

by the way i have reviewed another film from the same director here:

which had ZERO nudity …

while both movies are high quality i prefer my movies with sexy naked girls but i have to stress that this director is legit and doesn’t NEED nudity to make a film - but it is certainly welcome especially when the girl is young and thin ( and she can actually act as well ! )