Top Gun: Maverick [ 2022 ]

this is the ANALYSIS so it may contain spoilers

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1745960/

what a horrible movie LOL

with the exception of this hot chick:

i really can’t think of any reason to watch this cringe fest …

anyway i think a few things are worth mentioning …

1 - everything in the movie is spelled out and then repeated so that even the stupidest member of the audience whether they are 12 years old or 80 years old or can barely speak English will be able to understand what is happening … absolutely NOTHING is left to imagination … except nipples of course, because there is no nudity or so much as even sexuality really in the movie … the movie really goes after the lowest common denominator HARD. i’m sure that even with all the explanations the average viewer still has no idea what was going on because the average person is dumber than any of us can comprehend.

2 - it is never mentioned which country we are attacking ( Iran ) or who is the ally we are protecting ( Israel ) to keep things politically correct. furthermore we never see the faces of any of the enemies and we never hear them speak. we only see them from a distance on the airfield and in full face helmets with dark visors in their fighter jets. they make some hand gestures but we never hear a single word or see an inch of their skin. this is of course because if the movie showed the enemy as Arab or if they were heard speaking Persian or Arabic that would offend some people and get the movie negative press in some parts of the world - instead the producers were determined to cash in on every single available penny - the movie probably made money in every single nation on earth outside of Iran itself.

3 - Tom Cruise plays the man we all like to see ourselves as - the guy who is better than everybody else, always saves the day, but never really gets the credit for anything …

4 - Jennifer Connelly plays the woman that women see themselves as - past their prime, washed up, yet still imagining that somehow against all odds they may still get an amazing man even though their daughter is old enough to be dating already …

5 - Young people see themselves as the Top Gun pilots - as really gifted and destined for great things …

6 - not a single American dies in combat … i wonder if that was Pentagon’s condition for offering free F18s for the movie’s production …

ultimately i can forgive all that …

what i can’t forgive is that there are only two pretty girls in the movie ( “Phoenix” and Jennifer Connelly’s daughter ) and neither of them have so much as a romantic interest in the movie - they are just window drapes - Jennifer Connelly is the only woman getting any action and even that is all edited out …

horrible, horrible movie …

1 Like

by the way apparently the woman playing “Phoenix” didn’t want to play a token female pilot but she knew it was the only time she’d ever be offered a role in a major movie so she didn’t really have a choice …

it was bait and switch - they put a pretty face into the trailer to dupe guys like me into watching the movie, but they never intended to actually do anything with her character which is why they used some B list actress they could get for cheap and let the moron viewer assume she is going to be the next big thing or something except in reality she is already in her 30s and was only in like 3 other movies nobody will ever watch …

the pain …

Ha! I think it made money there too.
According to Box Office Mojo, it has reaped nearly 30 million in Saudia Arabia and the UAE. No figures given for Iran…but I wouldn’t be surprised.

what i can’t forgive is that there are only two pretty girls in the movie ( “Phoenix” and Jennifer Connelly’s daughter ) and neither of them have so much as a romantic interest in the movie - they are just window drapes - Jennifer Connelly is the only woman getting any action and even that is all edited out …

Bro…you are watching a Tom Cruise summer flick…and the 80s are long gone…what did you expect?
Plus, it will be playing in Muslim countries.

1 Like

that explains a lot actually …

also explains why there are no gays in the movie …

although boomers hate gays too …

Points 1 to 6 are also great reasons for its success.

Even though the movie itself is dumb, the producers and director present these archetypes in points 2 to 6 for the viewer for any country- “show don’t tell” - to hook them…offend no audience; leave no viewer behind.
The pilots are of every race and have stock personalities: Bob, hot chick, leader guy, cautious guy etc.

And point 1 is for the international audience; the enemy is both dehumanized and an attempt is made not to insult them. The good guys sneak in amidst the chaos, get by on trickery and need to be saved by one of their own.

Add that to great practical effects, and we have a winner.

(Tom Cruise also has a running scene: his trademark in his MI films and now this…run, Tom, run).

1 Like

yes, impressive mental gymnastics there …

i only saw the first Mission Impossible film and none of the John Wick ones.

no immediate plans to watch any of them either.

as for the practical effects in “Maverick” here is a good video:

1 Like

A lot of dedication to his craft shown in that “making of” video.

1 Like