The philosophy behind Plug In Hybrid cars

yes i know i wrote about this many times already but consider the following …

if you ask a child about meaning of life he will give you one answer … ask him again when he is a teenager and he will give another answer, then in his 20s, 30s, 40s, 60s and 80s he will again give a different answer every time …

i’m in my 4th year of driving a Plug-in Hybrid and my view is changing same as how my view of life is changing …

pictured: Volvo S60 T8 Recharge ( also the idiots didn’t fully close the charging door )

i also am a believer in making clean breaks with the past lines of thinking rather than living permanently as a slave to past mistakes … which is why i like to let old threads die and start new ones on the same subject … same as how in nature people die and a new generation is born so that humanity is not dragged down by accumulation of injuries and is instead allowed to refresh and renew …

so let’s start with the very beginning AGAIN like every generation has to start as a fetus …

a plug in hybrid ( PHEV = PlugIn Hybrid Electric Vehicle ) is a combination of regular hybrid and an electric vehicle. to understand it we must first understand those two parts that go into a PHEV individually.

in 1997 Toyota introduced the first commercially successful hybrid, the Prius.

pictured: the original Prius:

the basic motivation of the tech is that Combustion Engine Efficiency is lowest at low loads, and overall efficiency can be improved by turning the engine off at those low loads and driving in electric mode under low speed coasting conditions.

let’s look at BSFC or Brake Specific Fuel Consumption map for a typical good car engine below:

it can take a while to understand the graph but once you do it’s very clear. ( ask me if you don’t understand what the graph shows - and don’t worry about anything below horizontal axis / negative power / engine braking ).

also something crazy to me is that efficiency versus power for combustion engine has overall the same curve as efficiency versus power for a computer power supply … that is it zero at zero load, then peaks at about 1/3 load and gradually declines slightly towards 100% load … better not to think about it or the simulation might crash !

anyway, the smallest ( 230 ) contour represents maximum efficiency ( lowest fuel consumption per unit of power produced ), but 250 is still very close to 230 so let’s say that if we stay within 250 contour we are still operating optimally.

this means we should never run the engine below 1,000 rpm or at torque below about 40% of max torque for any given RPM or we will be wasting fuel for not much energy output. another way to put it is we should never run the engine below 10% of max power if we want optimum fuel economy. so for a 200 hp engine we would want to switch over to electric at around 20 hp mark. to have a smooth transition we would want some reserve, so let’s say 40 hp electric motor. congratulations - you have built a Toyota Camry Hybrid - the number one car used by NYC Uber Drivers for its fuel economy.

pictured: Toyota Camry Hybrid NYC Taxi Cab:

i had this same model Camry Hybrid myself, except mine was fully loaded with every option like Genuine Leather, JBL Audio, 360 camera etc. i got mine within weeks of it first becoming available. this was more than 6 years ago.

by the way hybridization is only one solution tried to improve efficiency at low engine loads. the cause of low efficiency at low loads in a combustion engine is mainly PUMPING LOSSES caused by the throttle. this is because for catalytic converters to work properly combustion has to occur in a somewhat narrow range of fuel to air mixture ratios, so when you reduce power by reducing fuel you must also reduce air ( create partial vacuum ) which is accomplished by partially closing the throttle which then begins to act as an engine air brake, hence pumping losses.

the most obvious “solution” to this problem was Diesel engines, which simply do not have a throttle to begin with, which is why they are so efficient. of course that is also why they are so polluting as well, and why ultimately they had to be given up on. i put “solution” in quotes because it literally solves nothing - it simply ignores pollution. All modern engines use Direct Injection anyway, which was the innovation behind Diesel cycle in 1893 or over 130 years ago !

i was actually telling everybody Diesel was shit for years before Dieselgate but Low IQ is Low IQ. the same animals that used to bleat Diesel Diesel Diesel - now bleat Electric Electric Electric - because sheep must bleat - there is nothing else for them to do - it’s what they are. did you really think they can objectively analyze technology ? they just sniff around ( as dogs would sniff each other’s butts ) to see what is “cool” these days then proceed to bleat about “amazing technology” …

pictured: Diesel Exhaust from School Bus

actually there was a solution to diesel pollution which involved a tank of special liquid ( called DEF for Diesel Exhaust Fluid ) that was injected into exhaust to clean it … ultimately it was simply not an acceptable solution for passenger vehicles due to laziness and stupidity of users and their irrational desire to have something for nothing. i did drive a Bluetec Mercedes Van ( that uses this tech ) while moving from NYC to NJ so this system is viable in commercial applications but consumers don’t want to deal with having to fill up DEF, which also happens to smell.

pictured: DEF tank and pump:

consumers in Europe ( where gas is very expensive ) demanded diesels but didn’t want to use DEF so VolksWagen cheated, got caught and brought down Diesel with it. and thank G-d for that. Diesel was trash and needed to die. Unfortunately now we have EVs which are even worse.

pictured: child slaves mining chemicals for EV batteries:

yet another solution to pumping losses problem tried by BMW was valvetronic, which created the vacuum using valve timing instead of throttle … i actually had valvetronic on my 2008 BMW … unfortunately the system proved to be a nightmare with BMW mechanics refusing to buy any cars that have valvetronic in them, so many new BMWs do not use the system anymore …

yet another solution tried was cylinder deactivation, which was fairly common in V8 engines … which is when under low loads the enigine turns off some of the cylinders … the obvious downside to that is the engine becomes rougher and sometimes also creates an odd drone noise because the exhaust is designed for a different number of cylinders … nobody ever thought this was a good solution but it was a relatively cheap and simple way to save gas in V8 engines … many people ended up buying aftermarket chips to disable cylinder deactivation in their cars because of how annoying it was …

finally TURBOCHARGING was yet another workaround, which didn’t reduce air pressure at low loads … but rather increase it at high loads … which combined with a smaller engine size effectively accomplished the same thing … with the price being turbo lag …

pictured: cutaway view of a Turbocharger:

there may of course be other solutions i don’t know about for example i literally just now read about how Mazda uses increased exhaust gas recirculation so i guess instead of vacuum they just replace air with exhaust to effectively bring fuel to oxygen ratio closer to target … but regardless the issue remains the same … at partial loads efficiency of combustion engines goes down …

bottom line - the industry has struggled with this same fundamental issue of pumping losses and low partial load efficiency for a LONG TIME and has made MANY ATTEMPTS to try to deal with it.

the Hybrid Tech is simply the most advanced and most effective solution to the same problem that Diesel, Valvetronic, Cylinder Deactivation and Turbocharging all tried to solve.

although hybrid tech can be used in combination with any of these other technologies there is relatively less of a benefit to any of these technologies when combined with hybridization as opposed to when using them on their own. this is for example why Diesel Hybrids never became a thing even though many hypermilers were clamoring for them - but they simply didn’t understand that it makes no sense to use two redundant systems to accomplish the same thing.

the modern approach is to combine hybridization with turbocharging while abandoning both diesel and cylinder deactivation. this is because unlike cylinder deactivation and diesel tech, turbocharging actually increases performance so it is worth it even if on a hybrid system there will only be a small improvement in efficiency since pumping losses are already minimized by engine shutting off.

at one point Ferrari said that all their future cars will be EITHER Hybrid OR Turbo. so to some extent hybrid and turbo technologies do compete against each other … and yet ultimately the industry has started to move towards using BOTH hybrid AND turbo IN THE SAME ENGINE.

i have no issue with that. my car is both hybrid and turbo. the car i want is also both hybrid and turbo. i can only guess that having that flexibility / overlap allows for a smoother transition between gas and electric power.

although toyota’s naturally aspirated hybrid system had very smooth transitions it relied on a rather expensive and slow planetary system to achieve this smootheness. even toyota has now moved on to a more conventional approach that uses an automatic transmission with gears and an engine with turbocharger in their “performance” hybrids.

so while prius and camry hybrid retain the original toyota hybrid system many of the lexus hybrids now use the same system as used for example by BMW hybrids. namely a regular turbo automatic setup but with torque converter replaced by electric pancake motor and clutch setup.

pictured: 2024 Porsche Panamera’s 8 speed double clutch transmission with integrated Electric Motor for the E-Hybrid system:

the original toyota system of course had no gears, no turbo and employed a DUAL MOTOR planetary setup. it is still a good system for cars like Prius and Camry that are focused on efficiency and smoothness but no performance vehicles have ever used this system.

pictured: Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive Dual Motor Planetary e-CVT:

in 2012 Tesla released the Model S, the first commercially successful practical Electric Car of modern era.

efficiency was great right off the bat as electric cars are fundamentally efficient but …

but the battery was heavy and expensive, the range was short, recharging was slow and as soon as production started ramping up the world started to run out of chemicals needed to build the batteries …

though things got better in the 12 years since none of these problems were really solved as they are somewhat fundamental …

i will be honest things improved more than i thought they would. i laughed at the idea of electric cars for the first 5 years or so of Tesla’s existence. i only stopped laughing at around the time of Dieselgate when it actually became clear that EVs were happening after all and Tesla wasn’t going anywhere.

anyway, Toyota actually had a Rav 4 ev back in 1997 ( though apparently it used Ni-Mh instead of Lithium ) …

pictured: 1997 Rav 4 EV:

so actually Toyota EV came out the same year as the original Prius ( both in 1997 ). the difference is Prius survived but Rav 4 EV was killed in 2003 …

then in 2012 Toyota collaborated with Tesla to make an electric Rav 4 AGAIN

pictured: 2012 Rav 4 EV:

but because Toyota had real cars to sell it was never invested into these EV projects as to Toyota the downsides were greater than benefits.

and yet despite Toyota killing Rav4 EV for the second time Tesla had soldiered on …

then in 2015 VolksWagen was struck by dieselgate

causing Audi to release E-Tron in 2018

and Porsche to release Taycan in 2019

Jaguar i-Pace also came out in 2018

and was famously used by Google to develop their Self-Driving vehicles.

with those cars hitting the market EV revolution had officially started as it wasn’t just one startup ( Tesla ) and not just limited production vehicle ( Rav 4 EV ) but Real Cars from a Real Automaker going Electric …

so at the time of this writing ( Feb 2024 ) we are about 5 years into EV revolution by my count …

actually don’t you think it odd VW was able to release all those EVs in just 3 years after being slammed by Dieselgate ? it seems the regulators knew about Diesel Cheating all along but decided to deliver the blow when VW was ready to actually replace Diesel with something else, otherwise it would have been wasted …

in other words regulators used Dieselgate as a lever to push VW to EVs only after they saw that it was actually viable for VW to do that …

but why ? what problem were EVs solving that Hybrids didn’t already solve ?

well if you’re a cynic you will say EVs do not solve ANY problem because you replace a 40% efficient ICE combustion engine with 40% efficient Turbine in the powerplant achieving the same overall efficiency and still running on fossil fuels …

pictured: power plant turbine:

indeed the MPGE metric is A TOTAL FRAUD because it compares energy INPUT to the car combustion engine to the energy OUTPUT of powerplant turbine - conveniently ignoring the fact that powerplant turbine is at best 50% efficient, and that doesn’t even take into account any distribution losses through the high voltage lines and transformers.

in other words if the PHEV car’s Monroney Label ( window sticker ) says 38 MPG when on gas and 98 MPGE when on electricity

it doesn’t actually mean it is more efficient in electric. in fact it’s about the same efficiency in both regimes. it’s just that MPGE is a FAKE number that was designed to always look better than MPG to make suckers buy EVs.

so for example Tesla Model S is 120 MPGE but it isn’t equivalent to 120 MPG … rather it is equivalent to about 50 MPG ( after accounting for power plant turbine efficiency and power distribution losses ) … which is still great of course. you’re still getting Camry Hybrid efficiency in a Muscle Car which is a great deal. but it is nowhere close to 120 anything.

furthermore although there are no 50 mpg muscle car hybrids that doesn’t mean i couldn’t engineer one. literally all you would have to do is use two engines - a Hellcat engine in the front and a prius engine in the back, and simply keep the Hellcat engine off until you floor it. it’s that simple.

why is nobody doing it ? well because such a car would be too smart for this planet. we live in a stupid world. any successful product has to be as evil as the politicians writing incentives bills and as stupid as the customer buying it and the reviewer reviewing it. my car would simply fail on all counts except actual real world benefits, which regular people don’t understand, politicians don’t care about and reviewers, marketers and manufacturers don’t like because they aren’t sexy.

of course the long-term goal of EVs is that they are simply a stepping stone to total ban on private vehicle ownership. banning the internal combustion engine is simply the first step on that slippery slope.

Klaus Schwab of WEF said that there will be no Private Vehicle Ownership in the future:

pictured: Klaus Schwab:

and because all of the western governments answer to Klaus Schwab they all agreed to end Internal Combustion Engines by 2035 because that’s how “democracy” works. nobody in the masses is asked what they want - instead Klaus Schwab simply tells your government and they all implement his decisions as one.

were YOU asked if you want combustion engines banned by 2035 ? i wasn’t !

so the “problem” EVs are solving is that you can still afford a car. that is the “problem”

you should be riding a bicycle !

i don’t make the rules, sorry. Klaus Schwab does.

OK but what if you’re NOT a cynic ?

is there ANY benefit to EVs over hybrids if we try to think positively ?

there are several …

1 - only about 3/4 of grid energy is from fossil fuels. SOME energy on the grid is renewable ( wind, solar, hydro etc. ) so by driving electric versus a hybrid you’re offloading about 1/4 of energy to renewable sources from fossil fuels, which is a good thing.

2 - more importantly fossil fuels used by power plants are coal and gas, which are abundant and cheap and require no processing to be used. whereas fossil fuel used by cars is gasoline which is a highly refined product made from oil that is itself a politically constrained resource over which wars are fought.

of course since Putin invaded Ukraine and Biden blew up Nordstream now Natural Gas is as constrained in Europe as Oil always was. but OVERALL coal and gas are far cheaper than Refined Petroleum Products.

but most importantly Klaus Schwab cannot fill up his Private Jet with Coal or Gas. he needs refined petroleum for that. thus you do not get to put petroleum products in your car and have to instead find a way to drive on Coal and Natural Gas ( via Electricity ) so that Klaus Schwab can fly on Petroleum.

3 - if we look at 2021 Porsche Panamera 4S E-Hybrid as example:

you can see it’s 50% more expensive to drive on gas than on electric in that particular vehicle. however it being the vehicle i want makes this data relevant.

but how relevant ? we’re talking about saving one dollar for every time you charge the car on a $100,000 car. the car itself is more expensive than non-hybrid variant and the cost of replacing the battery when it almost inevitably needs replacing is in the tens of thousands.

so the cost saving better not be the main reason you’re getting this car. but if you want a quieter, greener vehicle without any usability compromises in terms of comfort, safety, quality, range or performance then it would be hard to beat …

so anyway the additional reasons to prefer electric propulsion are

3.1 - potentially 1/3 lower cost to drive per mile ( if we ignore the cost of the car itself and the cost of battery replacement )

3.2 - smoother, quieter operation

3.3 - less breathing of exhaust

4 - ability to precondition the car electrically without having to start the engine and thus open the garage

these would all be potential benefits of EV over regular Hybrid …

but of course Panamera 4S E-Hybrid is not an EV or a Regular Hybrid - it is a Plug-In hybrid, which finally brings us to the actual point of this whole debate …

namely …

HOW EXACTLY DO YOU COMBINE THE BEST OF EV AND BEST OF HYBRID INTO AN OPTIMAL PLUG IN HYBRID ?

literally all i wrote up to this point was just the intro to set up the above question LOL.

ok so first i will note the benefits of PHEV over hybrid, then the benefits of PHEV over EV and then we will try to determine what is the optimal ratio in which the two should be mixed for a perfect PHEV …

benefits of PHEV over hybrid:

1 - preconditioning.

not many people talk about it but it is hands down the biggest benefit to having a car with a plug. it works the same whether the car is plugged in or not and basically it can heat or cool the car using electricity without starting the engine.

without starting the engine part is important of course because of Carbon Monoxide. if you run a car in a closed space carbon monoxide can build up and kill you.

some of the latest and greatest portable generators have “CO Minder” namely they will monitor the level or carbon monoxide in a space and shut off if it becomes dangerous. in theory you could simply put the same tech in an ICE car but without such a tech if you allow remote start via phone app the car might get started while inside the garage ( if you thought it was outside while using phone app ) and then your wife or kids walk into the garage and die …

with electric HVAC that problem is avoided entirely and you can safely precondition the car anytime you want from the phone and you always get into perfectly air conditioned car no matter if its 0F of 100F outside …

i will note on my car and most others you can only set up to 15 minute timer for preconditioning however in extreme weather you can simply run the cycle twice if 15 minute is not enough …

2 - regenerative braking

even though regular hybrids also have regenerative braking the rate at which kinetic energy can be put back into the battery is limited by the size of the battery and most regular hybrids have a battery too small for regenerative braking to become noticeable … it is there but it is very weak …

PHEVs will typically have battery that can accept power at 2X to 3X that of regular hybrid battery which in turn allows them to have 2X to 3X more noticeable regenerative braking …

it is still however quite weak compared to full EVs …

3 - ability to keep the engine off for longer periods of time saving money on gas as well as enjoying a quieter ride …

in my Toyota Hybrid that had a battery good for about 40 hp i could get up to about 15 mph before the engine started … in my Volvo PHEV that has a battery good for about 90 hp i can go up to about 30 mph before the engine starts under normal acceleration … and if i accelerate slowly i can get all the way up to 75 mph without the engine starting.

i am able to completely avoid the engine coming on in parking lots and around my block which is something i couldn’t do with Toyota Regular Hybrid. the engine starting is not very pleasant when you have the option of driving around with it off, so the more it stays off the more pleasurable the experience overall both for you and for your neighbors.

instead of running the engine to warm it up with the neighbors having to listen to engine drone and breathing the exhaust you just get into a warm car and drive away in silence. this is a luxury afforded by having a plug.

benefits of PHEV over EV:

1 - longer range. EVs will typically have 250-300 miles of real world range while PHEVs will have around 400 miles of range. The new RamCharger truck has MORE THAN DOUBLE the range of CyberTruck.

2 - faster refueling. 2025 Taycan is fastest charging EV on the planet and it can add about 200 miles of range in about 15 minutes. US Gas Pumps pump at 10 gallons per minute which at 25 mpg means 250 miles of range added in ONE MINUTE. so the average ICE car ( and by extension PHEV ) adds range 20 TIMES faster than the fastest charging EV in the world.

3 - no range degradation in the cold. once an ICE is running it doesn’t matter if its ZERO F outside. with an EV you could lose up to 40% of range depending on how cold it is.

4 - potentially lighter weight for better braking.

OK so let’s ignore any downsides of PHEVs for the purpose of this discussion. Yes complexity is an obvious downside, more parts to break etc. IMO it’s worth the trade off. The point of this discussion isn’t to ask the question of whether PHEV is worth it or not ( i might have separate discussions for that ) but rather to ask whether an optimal PHEV should be closer to a Hybrid or closer to an EV.

The reason i wanted to do this discussion is because when i got my PHEV a bit over 3 years ago i was brainwashed into the line of thinking that PHEV is a stepping stone to an EV and that you only get a PHEV if you can’t afford an EV and that the best PHEV is the one that is most like an EV that you can never have a battery that is too big or too much electric range etc …

Fast forward to 2024 and whether you look at BMW or Porsche the EV and PHEV cost the same. in fact this was predicted by a paper i had posted before but i didn’t believe it at the time. the paper predicted that eventually PHEVs will cost more than EVs. i certainly believe it now.

for example the BMW 5 series will have ICE in “30” level ( 530i ), the EV in “40” ( eDrive40 ) and “60” ( M60 ) levels and PHEV in “50” ( 550e ) and “M5” levels. so ICE is the entry level. EV is the mid-range, and PHEV is the flagship.

It is also the same for Porsche. Although the 2025 EV Porsche Taycan is faster than 2024 PHEV Panamera the base model Taycan is cheaper than base model Panamera PHEV.

the future is now Boomer ! and the future is PHEV. EVs were cool when they were unattainable but now that you can get a Tesla Model 3 for the price of a Hyundai and people still choose Hyundai it puts Tesla Fanboys in a tough spot. they went from " they hate us cause they ain’t us " and " if you don’t own a Tesla ask yourself where you went wrong in life " to a Tesla fanboy today telling me on Twitter that " a car is not a status symbol " … if you say so Bro LOL.

anyway if PHEVs will cost more than EVs ( and in German Luxury segment they already do ) then the question is no longer what is the best EV but what is the best PHEV …

and also the answer is no longer " the one that has the most EV range " because the whole " the more electric the better " argument has played out …

yes there are still idiots who think in 2019 terms of " how much range bro ? " or " can you drive it as electric car bro ? " and these idiots will always exist …

but the real question we want to be asking right now is which PHEV best integrates the gas with the electric …

first of all spoiler alert: the answer is Porsche Panamera E-Hybrid.

but why ?

well let’s look at previously discussed pros of PHEVs versus Hybrid and EV

versus Hybrid we see that most of the benefits would be realized without needing an overly huge battery. you could still precondition the car. you could still roll away from the house in silence without waking up your neighbors. you could still keep engine off in parking lots. by having a smaller battery the only thing you would really lose is EV range so instead of say 50 miles of EV range you would have 30 miles of EV range but considering that driving a hybrid on gas is only $1 more per 20 miles driven if you have to drive extra 50 miles or so on gas per month you only lost about 2 or 3 bucks and is not really an issue.

versus EV it is even simpler - all of the benefits still apply regardless of battery size

basically the battery size actually has very little to do with PHEV being a good car.

now to a normal person this isn’t surprising because normal people know that a good car doesn’t need a hybrid battery at all to be good … but in the environment i have been spending my time ( around Tesla fanboys ) it was constant drumbeat of RANGE RANGE RANGE, how much range bro ? haha your car only has X miles range LOL loser LOL. etc.

and i allowed myself to absorb that mentality …

it was not until Tesla slashed prices this past year to the point where i can buy a brand new Tesla for the same price as what my 3 year old used Volvo is worth that i was able to finally snap out of it and be like wait a minute - i was always right - they were always wrong - why do i continue to think in terms that were put into my head by these clowns ?

why do i continue to think of range as something important ? how did it start ? these Tesla Rat Fucks put these ideas into my head that the worth of my car is measured by how similar it is to a Tesla … except it is now worth more than their Teslas … and they were wrong about literally everything … and in fact the opposite of everything they have ever said turned out to be true … pretty much without exception …

one of the selling points for me with my 2021 Volvo S60 T8

was that it gets 400 hp with only 2.0 liter 4-cylidner … which is an engine that is only slightly larger than what is found in some motorcycles … and for example Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle engine is actually larger at 2.1 liters …

to me this was a positive because it made the car more electric-like … it had good power and performance like electric car should but with only 2.0 liters worth of engine which was almost no engine at all and thus allowed me to think of my car as being more electric-like …

of course once the battery started to run low after about 15 miles you really started to feel the tiny engine struggle to move a car that weighs like two 1990 Honda Civics.

what i ultimately realized that even though, in addition to the engine, i had TWO electric motors plus a Turbocharger AND a Supercharger … at the end of the day it all came down to that tiny 2.0 liter engine, which just isn’t enough.

i realized that the engine displacement and number of cylinders is primary and everything else is secondary. that all the wizardly only made the car more complex so that i get a sluggish response from a harsh feeling engine while Klaus Schwab can enjoy flying using all the refined petroleum i have saved for him like a good slave.

why did i do this to myself ? i knew Global Warming was fake even in 2008 when i was getting my V8 BMW.

i did it to myself because Tesla Fanboys shamed me into thinking i need to drive something as “high tech” as what they drive or i am a Boomer.

well i did, and now i regret it. i want to go back to something more basic that relies on old school fundamentals like engine displacement and number of cylinders.

let’s compare 2021 Volvo S60 T8 to 2021 Porsche Panamera 4S E-Hybrid in terms of OLD and NEW

NEW:

Volvo - two electric motors ( front and rear ), two modes of forced air induction ( supercharger and turbocharger )

Porsche - one electric motor ( in transmission ), one mode of forced air induction ( turbo )

so the Porsche is a lot less “high tech” and more basic than the Volvo.

OLD:

Volvo - 2.0 4-cylinder

Porsche - 3.0 6-cylinder

so Porsche is 50% better on the “old school” front of “no replacement for displacement” logic.

and you know what ? that’s why Porsche is better. there is no innovation for the sake of innovation in it. new tech applied only where needed instead of everywhere and for no reason.

yes Tesla is still BY FAR the worst offender in the innovation for the sake of innovation category but Volvo really wasn’t far behind with that insane fucking T8 powertrain …

the Porsche Panamera E-Hybrid has a lot more old-school down-to-earth approach than the Volvo. whereas the top trim of latest Volvo S60 has 1/3 of power coming from electric motors the top trim of latest Panamera only has 1/4 of the power coming from electric motor. which makes Volvo more futuristic and Porsche more old-school in that sense.

and remember you only need to fill the bottom 10% of ICE power with EV torque fill. so Porsche has ENOUGH. whereas Volvo has TOO MUCH.

Porsche is simply the properly implemented PHEV whereas Volvo is actively trying to be an Electric Car. Which is what i wanted when i was getting it - i wanted an “almost an electric car” … but i don’t want that anymore.

Now i want JUST A GOOD CAR that makes use of the latest electrification tech but WITHOUT TRYING TO BE AN ELECTRIC CAR.

i could take more about tech and numbers but in the end that isn’t really what any of this is about.

it all comes down to peer pressure.

i was peer pressured into getting tech for the sake of tech and electrification for the sake of electrification.

and now Old Friend Says Hello is trying to peer pressure me into getting performance for the sake of performance.

i must resist.

i don’t need tech or performance or electric range.

i just need a good car.

Yes OFSH will laugh and say my car is too slow and yes Twitter EV Idiots will laugh and say my EV range is pathetic.

This is what TRUE STRENGTH is about. It’s knowing that making an intelligent choice will get you laughed at by everybody and doing it anyway.

Being Right also means Being Alone.

Nobody will ever accept my choices but i have already accepted being alone many years ago.

You can only be truly yourself when you are alone and if you can’t be yourself then what is the point of living ?

I know i overlooked some technical issues but this was getting way too long and i just wanted to finish it already.

if you have any questions just ask.