The Million Dollar Hotel ( 2000 )

4 stars

the average rating for this movie is only 3 stars but movielens algorithm correctly predicted 4 stars for me - good job MovieLens !

this is a story about an actual retard’s love for a prostitute ( Milla Jovovich ) who both live in the same building, which is called " the million dollar hotel " but is actually some kind of low income housing project.

the plot revolves around the investigation ( by Mel Gibson ) of a death of a son of a Jewish Billionaire who renounced his family’s wealth to live with the poor at " the million dollar hotel " …

the retard and the prostitute are 2 of the 3 main suspects as they were both close to the victim while the 3rd suspect is the victim’s room mate.

this death of the Billionaire’s son occurs before the movie starts, and we only know that he died falling off the roof of " the million dollar hotel " but we don’t know if it was murder or suicide, but it is presumed to be murder …

and the movie actually starts with the retard committing suicide by jumping off the same roof …

i can see why the average rating for this movie is only 3 stars - it isn’t particularly gripping, it is slow paced, there is no nudity at all nor even a real sex scene - you never really worry about any of the characters because none of them have any future anyway, except Mel Gibson’s character who has a Fiance but you never really get a feeling that he is in any real danger …

and the fact that the movie starts with the protagonist committing suicide is even further anticlimactic …

but it’s a beautiful story of love and friendship that isn’t childish or cheesy or cringe …

i feel this movie is probably under-rated but i’m not going to put it into the thread about movies that were better than i expected because in fact MovieLens did correctly predict that i would like it.

this movie is free with Amazon Prime in high quality ! if you have Amazon Prime IMO that’s how you should watch it.

the movie starts with the retard jumping off the roof and saying " after i jumped i realized that life is perfect but somehow i never realized it while i was alive " … and that’s basically the theme of the movie - a sort of hidden beauty to life, the idea that you can choose to see beauty where others see nothing.

but it’s never preachy about this, it attempts to make you feel this message …

ultimately i respect this film and recommend it but you have to understand the reason i watched it was for Milla Jovovich in her prime and if that isn’t something that appeals to you then you probably shouldn’t watch it …

yes Mel Gibson is in this movie too but even though some posters try to play up this fact his role is really not that important - we never even get to see his fiance - he only talks to her on the phone. to put it bluntly - this isn’t a Mel Gibson movie - it’s a Mila Jovovich movie. even though she is not the protagonist the movie is entirely about her.

compared to “Tirza” for example the movie is far less intense - it never gets uncomfortable nor even sexual, not to mention there is no pedophilia or incest ( and just barely some prostitution ) - but it still has that sort of an authentic intimate feeling which i appreciate.

not sure what the reason for the R rating is since there is neither nudity nor graphic violence and in the only “sex” scene you only see half of Jovovich’s face and none of her body and she isn’t even naked to begin with. i guess the reason for the R rating is the psychological aspects of Prostitution and Suicide, which admittedly is something children probably don’t need to think about …

so as always i watched before going to sleep and today i woke up less depressed than usually … by a significant margin, which i attribute to the film …

as a result i’m upgrading it to 4.5 stars …

you have to understand that i can’t be cheered up by some happy ending nonsense, and the movie that ends with protagonist committing suicide doesn’t quite qualify as a happy ending …

rather the message is that just because the situation is that of despair with no hope doesn’t make life not valid and doesn’t mean we can’t choose to find meaning in it or something beautiful …

basically that life isn’t about anything objective, but our perception. he jumps off the roof and on his way down realizes his life was perfect. i’m NOT spoiling the movie by the way because that’s literally the opening shot of the movie …

the movie both starts and ends with the suicide of the protagonist, who is also the narrator.

now the million dollar question - will @marlon like it ? probably not. although there aren’t any “reams of text” in the movie, quite the opposite - the protagonist is barely able to speak due to retardation and the prostitute barely able to speak due to her social anxiety - the movie is never the less in some ways like “cosmopolis” in that it is a slow and we pretty much know it will end badly …

on the other side @marlon thought one conversation with the wife in “cosmopolis” was “almost human” and in that respect “the million dollar hotel” delivers - the conversations are VERY human even if barely anything is said. well the ones between the retard and prostitute are human. the other characters are very Cosmopolis like. i guess this is director’s way of telling us who the story is really about.

the only other human character besides the retard and the prostitute is Izzy ( Israel ) which is the son of the billionaire who is their mutual friend … though he dies before the movie starts and only appears briefly towards the end of the movie in a flashback there is constant discussion of what he was like by the other characters …

Mel Gibson’s character starts out as a cold machine investigating a murder but as he spends more time at " the million dollar hotel " he gradually starts to take on human characteristics becoming almost completely human towards the end …

the retard is human from start to finish that is from his suicide to his suicide and he is only retarded as a character - he is not retarded as the narrator …

but the movie is ultimately about the character arc of the prostitute, so obviously i can’t say what it is without spoiling the movie …

yeah i don’t think @marlon will enjoy this much more than “Cosmopolis” unless he has a boner for Mila Jovovich like me but on the upside unlike most of my other recommendations i think @marlon could watch this movie with his family ( remember - free on Amazon prime ) …

that’s because whatever family issues there are in the film are fairly tame - Gibson’s Fiance basically threatens to call off the marriage on the phone because he is basically spending their vacation at " The Million Dollar Hotel " and obviously the Billionaire and his son Izzy weren’t on the best terms since Izzy left to live at " The Million Dollar Hotel " but again, it wasn’t anything crazy …

there are also some religious references @marlon may find interesting for example Izzy is a Jew and there are references to him as Jesus while Eloise ( Jovovich ) is referred to as Virgin Mary …

basically it would be cool if @marlon would watch the film and tell me why he hated it … but i’m not going to ask him to do it because life is too short to watch movies that you will probably think are just OKAY …