Storm Surge Risk Map

seems accurate … the map shows 3 feet above ground where i was in Brooklyn when we were flooded by Sandy … and we got about that much.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/203f772571cb48b1b8b50fdcc3272e2c

fucking @OldFriendSaysHello outsmarted me. who would have thought Miami is less susceptible to Storm Surge than the part of NYC i lived in …

moral of the story is never assume - find accurate data instead …

the other observation is west coast of Florida is way more susceptible to flooding than East Coast … which would explain why East Coast is far more developed or at least was developed first …

this map is priceless …

follow the money too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you considering moving to FL again? I thought you had ruled it out because of sinkholes and hurricanes. Tbh I would probably pick FL over TX because the summer heat in TX is more unbearable than the winter cold farther north. FL while hot and humid is kept from getting extremely hot like it is in places like Dallas and Austin in summertime.

what happened is as i actually started the process of looking at houses here in NJ ( i saw two in person ), having a realtor look at my current place, talking to banks about mortgage etc. i realized i couldn’t actually afford any place worth living in here in NJ …

the house i’m in now is big but it’s value is suppressed by it being in a retirement community ( which we needed for Grandma when she was alive ) … furthermore the “improvements” i made such as replacing carpets with commercial flooring will only bring the value down lower as Seniors who buy retirement homes like carpets ( softer to face plant on i guess ) and there is other work that needs to be done before it can be sold and on and on …

basically the logic was if i currently have a home in NJ i can sell it and use the money to buy another home in NJ but after looking into it more closely that isn’t really the case because retirement community homes are cheaper and there will be a lot of costs involved in moving …

so i’m now back to looking at areas cheaper than NJ.

OFSH says “follow the money” … easy for him to say hehe. sure it would be nice to live some place where all the hot shots are moving to … but have to be realistic here ! LOL

only thing i would be able to afford in NJ would be something not fully detached meaning i could never crank subwoofers up due to neighbors. at which point it’s like why do i have a website about building subwoofers if i can’t even use the ones i already have ?

as for Florida, there was like ONE guy killed by a sinkhole in his sleep so it’s less a risk than being killed by lightning. the bigger issue is if somebody is looking for a location to build a large factory they will probably choose some other state where the ground is less shifty and less swampy. so that might affect jobs opportunities in that sector.

as for hurricanes that hurricane map i posted recently is amazing - shows the power of hurricanes is cut in half on average when you move just a bit north and inland like from Miami to Orlando … also Florida homes are built to withstand hurricane winds … it’s just that not much you can do about the storm surge …

so for example the video below is from Fort Myers:

but my maps show that if you live in Fort Myers that is in fact what you should expect … amazingly they are still building in that area …

the same maps though show where in Florida you can avoid this scenario while still enjoying the ability to use Summer Tires year round LOL

what Hurricane Sandy in NYC taught me is that just a few feet of elevation make all the difference. before the Hurricane hit i moved my car two blocks that put it about 6 feet higher and that was enough to save it. those in my building who haven’t moved their cars had their cars damaged and the fools who left their cars in the underground parking garage had them completely destroyed.

this is what made me appreciate accurate high resolution maps …

1 Like