Sony, Metamerism and Perceptual Color Matching

it’s like the Matrix bro - i knew it was all fake !

when i looked at all these color spaces, these calibrations and all that other jazz i was always like - how can this shit possibly work ?

color is a function of human vision which uses rods and cones - yet all the color spaces are defined in terms of RGB which is absolutely arbitrary and doesn’t correspond to actual human vision …

they built all this “science” around these RGB color spaces but i just kept wondering - what are they smoking ?

well, as always i was right and everybody was wrong … or as Insane Clown Posse put it “science is but an organized system of ignorance”

or as i am going to put it - science is not substitute for intelligence

intelligence is ability to doubt. science in theory is supposed to be able to do this but in practice always turns into religion.

“metamerism” or “metameric failure” is the difference between their bullshit color space theory and reality of color …

when you consider metamerism you have to wonder whether professionally calibrating a Sony TV will actually make the color WORSE because Sony TVs have metamerism compensation whereas “calibration” will basically undo it …

no surprise there of course. all these services are ripoffs. it’s like personal training in the gym. complete bullshit.

I did not know this. I thought RGB actually was a 1:1 direct match to human vision.

1 Like

science is pathologically reductionist …

it is based on reducing complex reality to simple models …

on one hand there is no other way to do it …

on the other hand i wish we could recognize when these models do not work but usually we can’t …

just like people will cling to a relationship that is clearly not working so they cling to scientific models that don’t work …

or rather they forget that something is an approximation that is useful in some contexts but unacceptable in others …

it is the same outside of science - people refuse to recognize things which are too complex for them to process … they demand that everything fits neatly into simple concepts …

gender is a good example - they want everybody to be male or female - why ? because they’re too dumb to consider anything more complicated …

it is easier for them to kill a nonbinary person than to ask themselves what is a nonbinary person ?

this pretty much sums up GAB. 90% of posts on GAB are basically " let’s kill everybody whom we don’t understand - this will prove that we are the intellectually superior ! " … they think if they kill enough people all the problems in the world will be solved … unfortunately the problem with the world is stupidity, and stupid people are most inclined to use murder to solve their problems …

i suppose we can define a corollary to Dunning Kruger to say that " those who believe they are the solution are likely to be the problem " …

on the other hand of course one can also be so open minded that their brain falls out, which is almost guaranteed to happen when your Jewish college professor does your thinking for you …

wisdom is a fine balancing act …