So Called Missing Middle Problem

yeah i’m seeing city planners trying to urbanize suburbs on Twitter … they are talking about the “missing middle problem” now …

i only heard about it today … but basically they want to bring back the kind of housing nobody wants to live in - the worst of both worlds - neither city nor suburb - basically a ghetto / projects.

i’m guessing the reason they want to do it is because real high rises like NYC skyscrapers are made out of expensive materials, have fancy elevators and so on … and they figure people don’t deserve that.

and real suburbs are too extravagant because everybody has a house and garage

1 Like

i mean living in Manhattan is simply not torture enough.

if you live in Manhattan you take elevator down, walk not more than 2 blocks to subway and within half an hour you’re at the bank where you work …

no they don’t want that. they want you to take the STAIRS and then RIDE A BICYCLE to a “Job” which won’t pay shit, otherwise if it did you might start wondering about buying a home and getting a car …

their vision is basically something like Amsterdam but with Negros instead of white people …

they want mid-rise buildings built out of cardboard with no fire safety or elevators and accessible only by bicycle …

well, i haven’t looked into it yet - i am just assuming this is what they want at this point …

That’s what they started to build in the old strip mall area. There are now several of these and they totally reengineered the main mall area around it so that it has roundabouts and such. It’s literally liberal city planning 101 there. However, they also built a bunch of old fogey group housing and mcmansion neighborhoods on empty lots in the same suburb, so it’s mixed for now. This really took off about 5-7 years ago.

I also have driven around some areas recently that I used to frequent and it is mind-boggling how many of these mid-rise complexes they have built everywhere. In the city and in several different suburbs these have been built like mad in the last few years. And yes I have seen the construction phase and the materials are very cheap in the building of these.

In my area, the single family homes built circa the 2010s also seem to be of poor general quality, with people I know already having to sink large sums of money into renovation.

new homes are made of basically cardboard and plastic but they ARE much more energy efficient than old ones.

if you want to survive when energy costs go through the roof you will be better off in a new home than old one.

in the end the main difference between a home and a tent is insulation, and new homes have better insulation as well as tighter envelopes ( less drafty ).

when homes in Europe get converted ( due to government incentives ) from fossil fuel to heat pumps these systems fail to keep homes warm in older homes that were not designed to be energy efficient …

people living in old houses in the north will get wiped out if the elites engineer a shortage of natural gas or heating oil …

those houses were built in the days before artificially engineered shortages. we are entering an age of austerity.

i suggest if possible living in a recently constructed building and in warmer climate. preferably so warm that you would be able to get through winter if heat is completely turned off as in Ukraine right now.

that pretty much leaves just Florida, California and Houston as options …

i wouldn’t move if i was comfortably settled down but for those who are looking to move i would recommend moving some place where winters are warm …

1 Like