RANGE is the new Horsepower

a few months ago i posted a study ( can’t find the link at the moment ) which claims that in about 10 years time EVs ( Electric Vehicles ) will be cheaper than PHEVs ( Plug-In Hybrids ) …

even a year ago i wouldn’t have believed this … but i believe it now …

why ?

i was offered $37,000 off MSRP on Audi E-Tron GT which is not just one of the best EVs on the market but one of the best CARS ever made … yet the prices are dropping like a rock … not just for E-Tron GT but for all EVs in general …

by contrast used Panamera Hybrids ( which share the platform with E-Tron GT ) are holding their value - so much so a Used Panamera PHEV is worth as much as a new E-Tron GT EV, even though the E-Tron GT is faster and is the latest cool thing whereas Panamera was around for a while …

so what is happening ?

what’s happening is people are catching on to the fact that EVs are actually trash that is imposed on us by the globalists.

i had another somewhat interesting experience shopping for an EV recently - i was talking on the phone with a Nigger car dealer to arrange a test drive for a used Audi E-Tron S ( now called SQ8 E-Tron ) and i was trying to explain to him that i want the 3-Motror S model for extra power and he was like no you want a model with more range because range anxiety …

what this means is even as EVs have a lot of power to offer the actual conversation is about range, not power …

now @OldFriendSaysHello was specifically after power so for him an EV makes sense, but MOST people are after range, and that’s why EV prices are tanking …

fundamentally EVs are more limited in range than power and there is something else people ( including car reviewers ) do not understand - that efficiency of EVs doesn’t drop nearly as much with extra power and when driving hard as compared to ICE ( Internal Combustion Engine ) cars. so EVs are actually perfectly suited for high horsepower applications and hard driving … but they are NOT well suited at all for road trips.

ask yourself this though - who is pushing EVs ? the same good folks at the WEF who also pushed for lockdowns. Elon Musk is a WEF “Young Global Leader” and Linda Yaccarino whom he appointed as Twitter CEO is a Chairwoman at WEF.

EVs are, in fact, a form of a lockdown - because they are range-limited.

10 years ago luxury was about having horsepower. 10 years from now luxury will be about having range. ICE vehicles will be banned and PHEVs will cost more than EVs.

This is one of the reasons i chose to keep my PHEV for another year, and i plan to replace it with another PHEV.

I did test drive FIVE different EV models ( one Mercedes and four Audis ) but most of the time i went to test drive them they had an empty battery.

in fact Audi of Princeton pulled out the E-Tron from the showroom for me to Test Drive because it was the only one with a charge on it even though they had several in the parking lot. Kudos to them for that - i told them i would wait for a different car to charge but they said no we will pull this one from the showroom which was a big hassle.

in the end though that was the recurring theme - charge. or lack thereof. yes the cars drove brilliantly - all 5 models i tried drove great - even the EQB 350 which was basically an econobox crossover converted to EV. EVs are basically fool-proof when it comes to driving dynamics - it is almost impossible to make an EV that doesn’t drive great …

just like it is almost impossible to make an ICE ( Internal Combustion Engine ) car that doesn’t have a great range …

as ICEs are getting banned and EVs are getting shoved down our throats it is time to consider that the ultimate luxury going forward will be RANGE rather than horsepower or even driving dynamics …

three of the five EVs i test drove do 0-60 under 4 seconds … but CITY-WIDE speed limit in NYC is 25 mph … and there are speed cameras everywhere …

my advice is if you want your car to hold value - don’t buy an EV.

there was a time when it seemed like EVs are killing PHEVs but now we’re stuck in this debacle where the industry can’t decide between CCS ( Combined Charging Standard ) and NACS ( North American Charging Standard ) and rollout of the charging networks seems to have stalled and none of the CCS chargers are working while everybody has agreed to switch to NACS yet can’t actually charge on NACS until 2025 for some reason, at which point Elon will probably come up with an excuse to back pedal on his promise to open Supercharger Network ( now called NACS ) …

and it is in this climate where used Panamera Plug-in Hybrids are going for more than new Audi E-Tron GT EVs …

why ? because Panamera has 500 miles of gas range ( in addition to 30 miles of EV range ) and people would rather have double the range than half a second faster 0-60 …

RANGE is the new Horsepower

in the Brave New World both your speed and how far you can travel will be limited by government more so than by your car, and yet the way things are going RIGHT NOW your SPEED is mainly limited by government ( speed limits ) and your RANGE is mainly limited by your car ( if your car is an EV ). in this scenario RANGE becomes more desirable than Power, which is what the Nigger used car salesman was trying to communicate to me.

the one thing EVs do have to offer over ICE that is ( unlike power ) relevant in the real world - is smooth and quiet ride. and this is something you have to consider when choosing a PHEV.

some PHEVs like my Volvo S60 T8 Recharge become very ROUGH when the battery is depleted. with a full charge they are as smooth as an EV but with a depleted battery they sound like a lawnmower. this is 50% due to design ( small 4 cylinder engine ) and 50% due to programming ( the mode in which engine charges the battery is too aggressive )

when i was test driving the Volvo before i got it i made a mistake - i demanded the dealer charges the car before i try it - i wanted to feel the full combined power of EV and ICE - instead i should have asked for the opposite - i should have asked to make sure the battery is NOT charged. this way you get to try the WORST CASE scenario.

generally speaking most modern PHEVs will drive great when fully charged, just like most modern EVs will drive great when you can find a charger. however when a PHEV runs out of charge is when the men are separated from the boys.

my logic with getting PHEV originally was that most of my driving will be with some charge in the battery, and that assumption has proven true. the other assumption was that because of this it is more important how the car drives with a charge than without a charge - and THAT assumption has proven FALSE.

because you get used to a certain feel from the car and when that feel changes ( because the charge ran out ) it is very aggravating.

in fact Chevy Volt was originally designed to deliver same performance with and without a charge and other cars like Honda Clarity were also designed this way - but both of those cars achieved this by not having very high level of performance in the first place.

what you really want is a car that still has acceptable performance and feel with a depleted battery, and then anything the battery charge adds is EXTRA and BEYOND what you actually need or want.

the Panamera Hybrids are built on that philosophy and that’s why they hold their value so well - because people don’t want to sell them.