Pot Player + OpenSubtitles dot org = Subtitle Heaven

Pot Player has absolutely insane functionality when it comes to subtitles

it was probably made by a deaf person or something who had an absolute passion for subtitles

pot player is always my choice for watching foreign films because you can select any font size, color, thickness and various types of backgrounds and outlines with transparency and gaussian blur that just makes it super clean and easy to read without being distracting …

it also has every possible option for adjusting subtitle sync timing without which some movies would be impossible to watch when no correctly synced subtitle file is available …

and the place to look for subtitles:

not going to lie - it took me MONTHS to fully get the hang of all the Pot Player subtitle functionality … just today i realized there is a “scale outline” option for example … without it i was limited to gaussian blur of 50 pixels which when outputting to 4K isn’t much … but with the scaling checked i was finally able to get the PERFECT look i was going for … wide and diffuse semi-translucent dark outline outside of light grey text … just pure perfection !

watched a film in Korean after a whole day of sitting on the computer and my eyes didn’t get tired at all reading subtitles because they just looked bang on …

i always watch movies with subtitles because if there is any word i don’t recognize i want to know how to spell it but when i watch English language films i let the TV render the subs even though they are small and hard to read but i only need to glance at them maybe once in 10 minutes …

when i watch foreign films where i have to read every word of subtitles i switch to Pot Player with its big beautiful text completely customizable to the size and brightness of your screen, your viewing distance, your visual acuity and so on …

my screen for example uses full array local dimming so white subtitles result in “blooming” artifact, plus they are so bright they are physically painful to look at, not to mention distracting unless very small - but no worries - Pot Player fixes all that by allowing me to dial in the precise brightness levels for subtitles by setting them to light gray color instead of white …

and to make them easier to see i make them bigger - then to make them less distracting i make the background semi-translucent with gaussian blur so it just blends into the picture while producing just enough contrast to clearly see the text …

i can’t believe Pot Player is free - hands down the best player ever - only note is to pause / play you have to double click the video window rather than single click like on YouTube - a single click does nothing - which is kind of annoying - but is probably to avoid accidentally pause / playing …

You are not normal…insane attention to detail…!!!
I just use the subtitles…

1 Like

people used to dedicate their life to calligraphy.

i once dated a girl who demanded to see my handwriting.

Steve Jobs dissed Microsoft by saying Apple creates their own fonts but Microsoft uses generic ones.

so actually i’m not as much of an outlier as you think :slight_smile:

text should look good.