Parenting tips for Marlon

my tips:

1 - make him learn Spanish. I had good results with “Rosetta Stone” software back in the day but there may be better ways now. After he gets to a basic level proficiency send him to Spain for the summer.

2 - make him learn Artificial Intelligence even if he isn’t a STEM major:

I have a feeling that you do not understand how current AI tech works, which is fine i’m sure i also don’t understand it. I mean i studied it 20 years ago in college but it has certainly evolved since then. I am assuming it uses the tricks i learned about 20 years ago but it could be using new tricks i never heard of. so maybe your understanding is actually less clouded by assumptions than mine.

but in the future not understanding how AI works will be like not understanding how Internet works today.

everything today works through internet and in the future everything will work through AI. those who don’t understand AI will be second rate people.

3 - make a list of what he would need to know to succeed and compare it against the list of things you can teach him. for everything he needs to know but you can’t teach him make sure he has a mentor for.

it’s not a question of where the world is going but a question of - are you ready for it ?

in every period in history the vast majority suffered a small minority thrived.

it’s just a question of how to get into that minority.

although Mandarin Chinese would also be good to learn i wouldn’t insist on it for 2 reasons:

1 - it is about 10 times harder than Spanish ( i dabbled in both )

2 - There is no “Chinese” language. Only the Characters are shared among the dialects, and even those got simplified overtime.

in other words to learn Chinese is quite hard ( though very doable ) but more importantly it won’t really guarantee you can easily converse in anybody from China, because they might speak a different dialect.

Still, Mandarin would be my 2nd choice after Spanish probably.

Personally because i’m a Nazi i am partial to German and because i’m a Jew i would like to learn Hebrew but i find it very hard for some reason. I also like French because of all the erotic movies.

But those are all my personal fetishes …

Spanish though i think is a must for kids in USA. The spics are too dumb to lean English. If you can speak Spanish you’re less likely to be killed by one of them.

but in the future not understanding how AI works will be like not understanding how Internet works today.

everything today works through internet and in the future everything will work through AI. those who don’t understand AI will be second rate people.

Yes. Started with showing him Midjourney and ChatGPT.
And he does do some programming.

make a list of what he would need to know to succeed and compare it against the list of things you can teach him. for everything he needs to know but you can’t teach him make sure he has a mentor for.

This I need to work on. I have talking with my better-off second cousin though.

Thank you.

1 Like