New Speaker - JBL PRX 900 Series

so the old PRX were wood cabinet and the new ones are plastic …

https://jblpro.com/product_families/prx900-series

what’s funny is that the old wooden PRX 800 are currently on deep clearance ( once supplies last ) so you can get a wooden PRX 12" box for about 2/3 of the price of plastic PRX 12" box … LOL

still, the new PRX 900 are cheaper than the RCF ART 900-AX while being somewhat comparable in performance …

so it’s not that the new PRX 900 is bad value it’s that the old ones are crazy value on current clearance

BUT !

there is always but …

the old ones are controlled through a broken app and have no display …

so i can’t really recommend the old ones either …

heh …

the new PRX 900 are a contender but they’re nothing special … basically a premium alternative to EON 700 that came out a bit earlier …

no reviews for the new PRX 900 but i have no doubt it’s good …

the EON series was always popular and the new PRX is basically transitioning from a cost cutting version of the SRX to the premium version of EON … which is to say it transitioned from cheapest powered wooden box to most premium powered plastic box in JBL lineup …

new PRX vs old PRX has the same exact tweeter, cheaper woofer, cheaper cabinet, but much better amp because it drops the fan and adds a screen …

so i wouldn’t call the new PRX 900 an upgrade over the old PRX 800 - it’s more of a side grade as woofer and cabinet are downgraded while amp and DSP are upgraded …

but it is no doubt a smart update for JBL. new speakers are cheaper to make yet are more well rounded than old ones. the old ones had great woofer and cabinet and shit interface / app. new ones are mediocre all around, which is what you want at the price point.

NOTE THIS IS A NEW PRODUCT AND I FOUND A LOT OF ERRORS IN THE SPECS.

i generally don’t trust specs too much as they are usually entered either by marketing cretins or some intern and rarely correspond to anything but in this case it is extra bad.

PRX 912 seems the one to get …

here is the “spinorama” for PRX 912, not bad !

https://www.spinorama.org/speakers/JBL%20PRX912/JBL/index_vendor-pattern-90x50.html

turns to shit below 200 hz but in that area room and subwoofer crossover will dominate anyway so it simply needs to be EQd

towards that end the built in parametric EQ, screen and app should help …