Marine Traffic Map

here is a nifty map that shows REAL TIME location and other data for EVERY SINGLE SHIP ON EARTH …

you can click on any ship and it will give you detailed information about it’s status, speed and so on …

the reason Germany never amounted to anything Geopolitically while 90% of nations on earth were at one point British colonies is because Britain is an Island and Germany is basically landlocked …

this shit matters …

a few things stand out to me …

for example if you look at Google Maps alone it seems that Washington DC is a fairly decent port … yet if you look at actual traffic you see it is completely dwarfed by Baltimore and Norfolk …

likewise based on Google Maps you may conclude that almost any part of NYC is suitable for use as a port, yet it is Elizabeth and Newark that actually get the Lion’s share of container ships and tankers …

Miami seems to have a fairly serious port … but upon closer examination the traffic is almost entirely Caribbean Cruise Ships …

Traffic to Boston is weak as well …

of course my attention is focused on the East Coast USA because that’s where i am …

but you can actually learn a LOT from this map …

for example the reason Elizabeth / Newark ports are so busy is because that’s also where the NorthEast Corridor is ( AMTRAK, cargo rail ) as well as Newark Airport and Oil Refineries as well as Power Plants supplying NYC Metro with electricity …

from perspective of infrastructure Newark may very well be the heart of NYC ( even though it’s actually in New Jersey ) just as Manhattan is the heart of NYC in terms of human capital …

it’s 10 miles from Newark to Mid-Town Manhattan … and Jersey City is right in the middle … Jersey City recently named the most expensive place to live in America - i wonder why …

likewise Baltimore may be to Washington DC what Newark is to Manhattan … but i haven’t researched this hypothesis yet …

bottom line - although demographics is destiny, so is geography …

retards like MAGA boomers focus on politics which are nothing more than farts in the wind …

if you’re smart you will think about things that are LASTING beyond the election cycle …

1 Like

another thing that’s interesting to me is the amount of traffic through the Panama canal … that is does stuff from Asia go to East Coast directly through the Panama canal or does it get put on trucks in Los Angeles ? i previously tried to google answers to that but you can see the answer clearly from the map ( the answer is both ).

yet another thing i was interested in is the traffic going to the great lakes megaregion … based on googling, wikipedia and so on i knew there is a connection between the great lakes and the ocean … but i didn’t know how viable it was for large container ships …

well by looking at the map you can see exactly how much traffic there is there and by clicking on the ships you can see exactly what size of ships are able to make it …

the map is absolutely invaluable IMO …

Yes.

You see why the Chinese have the Belt and Road initiative - to have land routes for their manufactured goods (the map show them as the #1 producer of manufactured goods by far - and the number one consumer of raw materials).

Russia’s place as China’s Africa (source of raw materials) is assured.
Africa and Australia have very similar traffic - they export large amounts of raw materials…their futures as colonies stamped in stone.

1 Like