Julia ( 2014 )

3.5 stars

it seems the “R” rating refers to a cut version of the movie, while the uncut version is NC-17 ( which explains why it shows up as “R” on IMDB but as “NC-17” on movielens ).

this movie reminds me of Possessor Uncut

which is “Unrated” but has an “R” cut and shows up as “R” on IMDB

between the two of them “Possessor” has a higher budget feel to it while “Julia” is more sexual

other movies that come to mind - Suspiria, Nymphomaniac, Antichrist, RAW …

if you search this site i have reviewed most of them …

if you love BDSM and hate men this is a 5 star movie.

if you only love horror and erotic movies but don’t subscribe to “all men are pigs” philosophy, then this is a 3 star movie

and finally if you aren’t into horror or BDSM or feminism then this is a 1 star movie for you.

objectively the casting is good, the pacing is good - not too fast - but also not bloated with unnecessary scenes. the plot is decent.

it really just comes down to what sort of experience you’re looking for. do you want to see men having their dicks cut off with the actual dick blown up to almost the entire screen ? if yes this is a movie for you.

personally i did not enjoy the whole man-hating angle of the movie. it’s almost like a BDSM / Horror version of Barbie in that respect.

but i have to give “Julia” props where it’s due - they pulled out all the stops - they didn’t look for any kind of balance at all - men in this movie are treated like Palestinians are treated by Israel. NO MERCY WHATSOEVER.

i have to admire just how far out this movie is. it is BRUTAL.

the 4.6 rating on IMDB is 4.6 out of 10, so a very low rating - but that’s understandable because an NC-17 movie like this is hardly meant for everybody. but that’s why i respect it. i respect that it doesn’t care how many people turn away - it has its own dark vision and it stays true to it.

also MovieLens did a great job recommending this movie. despite low average ratings MovieLens algorithm correctly predicted i would like this movie.

3.5 stars. recommended.