JBL EON 700 - insane value :(

so these came out about a year ago but somehow i missed them …

check out the price:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EON710--jbl-eon-710-1300-watt-10-inch-powered-speaker#

this speaker comes with a large, high resolution full-color screen and its $499

i am not saying get this speaker but the price is outrageous.

this speaker will annihilate 99% of so-called “audiophile” speakers when paired to a pair of 18" subs.

more disturbingly it’s 80% of PRX 912 which is DOUBLE the price.

i really don’t think there is any other speaker in the world that is a better value than this EON 710 at least if you’re in the US and can get it at this price.

i think i paid about $450 for my EON but mine is passive and the dollar lost half its value since then so this is twice the speaker for half the money versus my EON … this is nuts.

yes the IRX is even cheaper but it doesn’t have a screen …

basically when i got my EON it was the only plastic JBL box …

then maybe 2 years ago JBL introduced IRX which slotted in under the EON and now about 2 months ago they moved the PRX line to plastic so now JBL has three plastic lines, which is impressive !

a 12" is available in all 3 lines for $450, $550 and $999 respectively

between $450 IRX and $550 EON i think it’s an easy choice to upgrade to EON as for extra $100 i think the screen is easily worth it … you get no additional amplifier power, but you do get better drivers and cabinet. all in all it’s a no-brainer IMO to go with EON over IRX as it’s a significant upgrade for almost the same price …

the IRX only exists to compete at a price point of Behringer and Alto but nobody should be buying that trash to begin with …

EON competes with affordable but semi-serious speakers like Mackie …

on other hand the $990 PRX 912 has the same exact interface as $550 EON and only differs in having upgraded cabinet, amp and drivers …

but is it really twice the speaker ? i think it’s closer to 30% more speaker than 100% more …

i realize the PRX 900 is still cheaper ( in US ) than RCR ART 900-AX … so i understand the pricing strategy … as it is a direct competitor …

yet it is clear that PRX 900 is not that different from EON 700 but costs double …

but that’s kind of like saying Bentley is not that different from Audi which is not that different from VolksWagen … yet we’re talking $300,000 vs $100,000 vs $30,000 …

using this Analogy the IRX is VW Jetta, the EON is Passat and PRX is Audi A4 … the SRX is Audi S6 and VTX is a W12 Bentley … all manufactured by same company for different price points.

anyway happy to see JBL now offering DSP plastic boxes at 3 price points. RCF has a lead for a while when it comes to plastic speakers as all decent JBLs were made out of wood, but JBL has been taking notes from RCF …

while RCF has been taking notes from JBL and included a screen, bluetooth and app features to the ART 900-AX which is something JBL had for a long time but RCF was way behind offering only a few basic presets toggled with a few buttons …

so actually this year both JBL and RCF leveled up their plastic speaker game - very nice !

i am a fan of plastic tops - they work very well when paired to a plywood subwoofer. plastic works great for mids and highs - it just doesn’t work for bass ( too much flex ).

OK i figured out why PRX 900 costs more than EON 700 ( aside from the obvious difference in build quality, component quality and power )

it’s because PRX 900 is more stylish than EON 700

now some of you who are NAIVE will say this is subjective … IT IS NOT

PRX 900 is objectively better looking than EON 700

and that’s what you pay for.

i mean who wants to have a speaker that looks like a toilet ? and that’s exactly what EON looks like - on purpose.

JBL know how to design sexy products - look at their bluetooth speakers !

for the EON they chose to go ugly but for PRX they chose to go stylish … smart !

i know i previously said pro speakers are sold on performance not style … well … that was wishful thinking

you can never get away from the fact that people like good looking things … and ultimately a speaker is part of a decor of a venue and if it’s a premium venue the speakers should look professional …