Humans as Pets

I read this years ago but have not yet been able to master it though.

When you stop expecting people to be reasonable, it becomes much easier to deal with them.

Be very sensitive to other people’s defensiveness, and never push against it. Almost no one is prepared to have someone else discover or point out their flaws to them, so they will instead get angry and find you stupid and arrogant. When you believe someone else is wrong, do your best to get them to clarify their point as opposed to pointing out where they are wrong . If they’ve just made some simple mistake, they may correct themselves given the chance, but if you point out their error they are likely to continue arguing a stupid point and then they’re really primed to get angry and ultra defensive.

It is a hard thing to realize how insecure almost all people are, especially Phds and doctors and the like. Many of those people became what they are simply to give themselves value in lieu of true inner confidence.

Even if you don’t see it, even if you don’t believe it, try it as a game. Simon’s rules of social success: Realize (or pretend) that everything you say will be felt deeply by everyone around you, and choose your words accordingly. Realize that everyone you are talking to is increadibly insecure, and that they need to feel valuable and respected. Realize that most people are not rational or consistent in their own beliefs, and are not prepared to be. Most importantly of all, have (or pretend to have) so much inner confidence yourself that you do not need to defend your person or your beliefs – always think of your interactions with others in terms of how it will effect their emotions, never in terms of protecting your own.

I.e., treat them as pets, take responsibility for their emotional state, and coddle them into giving you the best results you can rationally (not over-optimistically) expect from them. In a sense, I am advocating treating them with respect, and behaving yourself as if you get respect (not as if you deserve it, but as if it is a given that they respect you, so you don’t need to defend that!). The only not-quite-rational thing here is that you are respecting their emotions and being rather than their logic.

Don’t debate with people as if truth wins an argument. You’ll just make enemies.

Again, the thing to remember with all of these interactions: Work as hard as you can to remove your own ego from the situation. Don’t feel you are on stage and have to perform, nor under the spotlight and have to defend. Be aware of your surroundings, and of the people in them. Think of yourself as a Zen Bhuda. :slight_smile:

It’s very hard to do. It’s very easy to get sucked into worrying about your own image, and to not realize until you get home that you spent the whole evening doing that. It’s fine to reflect on your image once in a while, to tend to it, to present yourself as you wish to be presented; but you must do all of that in an impartial manner, from a third-person’s perspective, so that you don’t get wrapped up in the emotionalism of defending your own ego.

Humans as Pets, and Casanova’s Unremarkable Pizza (sifter.org)

1 Like

OK i finally read it. I was afraid it would open some can of worms that i didn’t have time for, but it didn’t. Instead that mouse experiment you mentioned did … which may be the most important single piece of information i have come across in years … it potentially radically alters my model of reality.

Anyway back on subject - so Simon’s advice is 2-fold:

1 - ignore your own emotions, be pure reason
2 - assume other people have no reason, only emotions

yes i follow that for sure.

before my TV was delivered i spent HOURS practicing how i would talk to the delivery guys ( who were also paid to unpack and assemble the TV ) in order to make sure we don’t break the TV by accident on one hand but on the other in order to avoid offending them so they don’t break it on purpose …

recall we did break the QN800A even though it wasn’t our fault but Samsung’s so the danger was real …

i know i make most people incredibly insecure - they almost feel like insects in my presence - and when i then start to teach them how to do their own job they typically snap …

the problem is that 99% of the time i HAVE TO teach them or they will fuck everything up. my attempts to teach them only have 50% success rate though as the other 50% of the time their ego kicks in …

most people have no idea how to do their job - if they did they would feel they are destined for something greater and try their hand at something else, more complicated …

the way i handled the delivery guys is instead of framing it in terms of me having 50 IQ points on them i framed it as me having more experience than them when it comes to unpacking and assembling TVs … they went along with my instructions and in fact i did all the unpacking and assembly myself with them only joining during 2 steps of the process …

even so they managed to fuck it up by leaving fingerprints on the screen … i removed the screen cover on the right side and they on the left and the left side has fingerprints …

still … at least we didn’t break the TV … so i count it as success overall.

there was a moment of danger when i told them we were NOT going to put the TV down on its face and i saw on their faces that they were getting upset … but again i stressed that we were just following instructions and it wasn’t me telling them what to do … this is of course how we broke the Samsung ( by putting it face down ) but they didn’t need to know that …

yes i agree it’s actually very hard which is why i simply try to avoid dealing with average people but sometimes you can’t avoid it … in those cases you have to gauge how much damage can they do and sometimes it can be a lot and you then have to put in the effort into not offending them …

realistically though it will be too much work unless you can surround yourself with people who are mostly on your own level and limit contact with average people as much as possible …

Simon’s advice to nudge somebody to understand their own mistake without pointing out the mistake will only work with somebody who is almost at your own level - it will never work with somebody who is 2, 3, 4 levels below you - those people will never understand anything even if you spend lifetime explaining it. with those people the solution is simply to remove yourself from their presence.

Why would anyone put a TV on its face?

Simon’s advice to nudge somebody to understand their own mistake without pointing out the mistake will only work with somebody who is almost at your own level - it will never work with somebody who is 2, 3, 4 levels below you

If you have authority over them, you can simply tell them what to do or offer a reward for a job done right.

it’s the easiest way to attach the feet / pedestal. in some cases ( like with the Samsung ) it’s the ONLY way. These guys are on very tight schedule and have no time to read the manual - they put ALL TVs face down whether the instructions call for it ( like with Samsung ) or not ( Sony ). when i told them we wouldn’t do it the way they are used to doing it they were starting to get upset but i basically signaled to them i will do everything myself so in that way i wasn’t bossing them around.

no no no !

i have authority over everybody simply because i am a living god and everybody knows it but when i actually talk to people i always pretend that i’m just like them. if you can’t pretend you’re no better than the person you’re talking to you may as well not waste your time talking at all. they will never listen.

1 Like

Forgive me…I haven’t bought a TV in years…

I was in an argument a few months ago with a professor in charge of an exam over the questions to be chosen…
The ass came nearly 45 minutes late, pontificated for another 30 minutes, and I was not as calm as I should have been…

As revenge, after the meeting, he had to show how smart he was so he set questions we agreed not to give…even making mistakes in the solutions…

So you have learned this lesson already…I am still learning…

1 Like