Gaming

after not seriously playing games for over 25 years i had once again dabble in gaming a bit for research purposes for this new computer i’m building

so far i have Chassis, Power Supply and Motherboard on hand so i’m about 20%-30% into the build or so …

i have tried 3 games:

1 - Genshin Impact
2 - Overwatch
3 - Fortnite

long story short i already uninstalled Genshin and Overwatch. they struck me as eye candy that didn’t make any sense to play.

Fortnite on the other hand is a pleasant surprise. It’s not as pretty as Overwatch and downright ugly compared to Genshin Impact but it is fast paced and competitive ( you play against other humans ) and it is a single player game unlike Overwatch which is team based.

In essence Fortnite is what a game is supposed to be. You fight to the death and use strategy to gain an advantage.

Fortnite is very much like Hunger Games the movie except there is no backstory, no love triangle or any of that stuff - you just fight to the death.

my current 5 year old PC runs a GTX 1060 card with 3GB VRAM which surprisingly had no issues with any of the 3 games i tried, which means that basically any Nvidia graphics card currently in production will play most games no problem, albeit not at maximum settings.

for example my GTX 1060 plays Fortnite at 4K resolution without dropping frames BUT only in legacy DirectX 11 mode … in DirectX 12 mode it crashes almost instantly.

basically you can use an older card no problem as long as you pick the right settings in the game.

i haven’t picked a card for a new PC yet …

Ok i think i was wrong, after watching this video:

now i think it isn’t that Fortnite is that much worse looking than Genshin …

it’s that Genshin looks better on my 5 year old mid-range graphics card …

which is to say Genshin is better optimized for lower-end Graphics than Fortnite is …

Fortnite uses Unreal 5 engine and needs a more recent GPU to look right …

i still haven’t picked the GPU for my build …