Contemporary EDM

yeah. you should be able to see which post i replied to.

sounds a bit like Odesza

My bad…didn’t check the parent post.

1 Like

it’s a bit commercial sounding but i’m past my elitist days of only listening to underground music.

i’ve come to believe that elitism of this sort is not a sign of sophistication but the opposite.

it’s like people who only listen to classical music. that’s not a sign of having taste - that’s a sign of being desperate to have people believe you have taste.

basically if your taste is algorithmic you don’t actually have taste. i can’t dismiss something based on the category it fits into or other attributes that an algorithm could base decisions on. i have to actually listen and base decision on that and only that.

So you are willing to listen to mainstream music… :thinking:

i can listen to mainstream music i’m not sure there is any sense in doing so.

if 100 million people already have an opinion about some track what difference will my opinion make ?

mainstream can be high quality, it’s just that quality isn’t the goal in mainstream - it’s a side effect of incredible level of expertise.

underground is the opposite - they strive to capitalize on the mainstream not being interested in putting out quality to fill that niche - but most of the time they don’t know how to.

this problem occurs not only in music but in all other areas …

take Samsung for example - a giant corporation with incredible engineering prowess that puts out complete garbage because they know the customer can’t appreciate quality anyway …

on other hand i have a bicycle light that was hand made by an American engineer who designed it … it was an order of magnitude above in performance than any commercial offering at the time …

but does that mean that something hand made is always better than something mass produced ? of course not. it’s more interesting though.

A post was split to a new topic: EDM Contemporary

1 Like

More Odesza

objectively it ( ODESZA - BOY ) is great but it’s too happy for my taste.

i don’t like being happy.

if we think of happiness as sweet then this track is like some kind of ice cream that i would refuse to eat because it would give me cavities, diabetes and just overall make me dizzy from all the sugar.

i don’t know if you have ever taken MDMA ( the main ingredient that ecstasy is supposed to have ) but this music is clearly designed for the crowd that’s into MDMA …

MDMA gives the feeling of happiness, empathy and one-ness with others …

although i enjoyed MDMA when i used way back in the day it it’s really more a drug for 20 somethings to go clubbing …

i’m more into darker things myself …

MDMA is about serotonin and so is ODESZA or at least this track whereas i’m more into DOPAMINE.

whereas serotonin is about happiness dopamine is about creative energy …

serotonin is pleasure from petting a cat

dopamine is pleasure from building something

adrenaline is pleasure from going over the speed limit

i’m a dopamine type of person …

if you give me a choice of going on a rollercoaster, hugging a bunch of people or building a subwoofer alone in the basement i will go with the subwoofer and i won’t even have to think about it …

i guess i never really thought about it until now but all my favorite music is dopamine music …

“Gameday” by “Haterade” ( which i posted in another thread ) would be a perfect example of dopamine music. the words that come to mind to describe it would be POWER and PRECISION.

i now realize those things don’t make music objectively better - they make it more DOPAMINE based and i just happen to be a dopamine junkie.

your music is more serotonin based and your movies seem to be perhaps adrenaline based or perhaps related to some other stress hormones or endorphins.

the other thought that comes to mind is that perhaps IQ tests favor dopamine junkies. all IQ tests really measure is how good somebody will be at engineering and actually sports. because sports are also dopamine based ( for the player, NOT the spectator ) … maybe that’s why his name is “Haterade” a portmanteau of “Hate” and “Gatorade” and all his track names and album art are game / sport themed.

but to succeed in life the requires something different. in fact it may be impossible for a dopamine junkie to become successful. we are so happy building things that we can’t be bothered with things like a career when we can just build subwoofers in the basement.

a psychiatry professor and venture capitalist that used to follow me on Twitter advocated “dopamine fasting” ( which he claimed he invented ) which is basically depriving yourself of easy access to dopamine rush that forces your creative energy to get focused on things that actually will get you somewhere in life …

i never even tried it. it’s’ unthinkable to me. it’s like asking a heroin junkie that has a syringe right in front of him to just look at it and not touch it.

he was probably right though.

cool video ( ODESZA - IT’S ONLY )

the music is excellent but still unbearably happy for my taste.

how did i listen to ODESZA before ? did i go darker or did they go in the opposite direction ?

this music is like pink unicorns sprinkled with glitter …

what i crave is carbon fiber and titanium …

makes me wonder - do we see the world differently because we have different brain chemistry ?

or do we have different brain chemistry because we see the world differently ?

probably both !

maybe i’m confusing dopamine with testosterone.

or maybe there is a relationship between the two that i’m not aware of.

men are more creative and more aggressive than women.

the urge to destroy is a creative urge …

hmm …

Interesting…

serotonin is pleasure from petting a cat

dopamine is pleasure from building something

adrenaline is pleasure from going over the speed limit

So we all like different blends of the three in life.
Perhaps more of one brain chemical in everything for some people, perhaps a different dominant hormone in different activities for other people and so on…

As people age, serotonin and dopamine seem to be predominate…or do we just become numb with experience?

I wonder if studies have been done, breaking down such prefernces by sex or age?

So you would like something like this, then…

these System of a Down guys have no energy on that stage - maybe they stayed up drinking the night before …

perhaps old people get chest pain when their adrenaline rises or something like that …

also adrenaline is not a neurotransmitter it’s a hormone like insulin … neurotransmitters are in synapses whereas hormones are in blood …

neurotransmitter levels can be adjusted with drugs … which in turn adjusts behavior …

this is how they take all those depressed kids, put them on SSRIs and turn them into mass shooters …

a good doctor using drugs could conceivably fix some of his patients but why would he care about helping them ? his job is to create addicts both for his own sake and for the pharma …

i could probably be made to function with a combination of SSRIs and Amphetamines but i don’t want to function :slight_smile:

i have successfully used drugs to overcome depression before - it was after i got out of shape with a dislocated shoulder and was very depressed and i had to restart my training - i went to a doctor and told him what to prescribe me - after i had my supplies i joined three gyms ( might have been five gyms at the peak of insanity ) at the same time including a 24/7 gym and was doing 20 hour long workouts until i got back in shape … then i quit the drugs and went back to normal training. i must have been on the drugs for maybe half a year ?

20 hour long workouts are not a typo. my workouts would span multiple different gyms and even different cities. i would switch gyms and pools in a continuous workout spree fueled by amphetamines and when everything closed i would go to my 24/7 gym then in the morning i would switch back to the pool etc. i had three full-size hiking backpacks full of water, protein shakes and clothes with me in the trunk of the car so i wouldn’t run out of fuel … i would also sometimes stop by and eat at diners between the different gyms. i had no time to go home because my training was in Queens and Long Island while i lived in Brooklyn.

now that i think about it i’m not sure i stopped using amphetamines when i got back in shape or when i moved to New Jersey …

perhaps there was never any abrupt change i just gradually evolved towards my current training.

i guess in our discussions i neglected to mention the main reason for moving from NYC to NJ was actually to be closer to the gym so i wouldn’t have to use amphetamines to do the kind of training i wanted. the problem was that there weren’t any gyms in Brooklyn that were satisfactory to me and driving almost 100 miles and 5 hours every day to hit the gyms and pools in Long Island wasn’t worth it unless i was able to put in very long workouts … this is how i settled on the system of using amphetamines to train for 20 hours and then sleeping for 2 days to recover.

but now that i’m in NJ and have a great facility nearby i don’t need drugs anymore to train efficiently.

the drug use was strategic - i wasn’t trying to change who i was - i just needed to make myself snap out of my stupor and lose weight so i could return to being my normal self.

my original plan was that once i’m back in shape it won’t matter where to train. i felt i needed superior training facilities to overcome my injury but that i wouldn’t need them indefinitely. i thought once i recover i will go back to training in Brooklyn in shitty ass gyms but i got addicted to Long Island luxury gyms and never went back to Brooklyn gyms - instead i just moved to New Jersey.

heh, i almost forgot all about this LOL

when i think back to the shit i used to do when i was younger sometimes i can’t believe it …

i miss being crazy. growing up sucks.

The truth comes out… :slightly_smiling_face:

Amphetamines enabled you to do 20 hour workouts…
And you are not exaggerating?!

not 20 hours in a single session. spanned across multiple gyms. i would leave home in Brooklyn and drive to Long Island and come back the next day and the total amount of training i would do was maybe about 8 hours on average or so but i think at the absolute worst it was almost 20 hours. even without amphetamines my days are longer than 24 hours. i often sleep more than 12 hours for example. with amphetamines i stretched my day even further to my advantage leaning on the 24/7 gym to plug the gap when the others are closed.

i had one gym because it’s 24/7. i had an olympic swimming pool at another location. a gym for professional bodybuilders in a third location. but all were in Long Island whereas i had to come back to Brooklyn to sleep every other day or so.

Long Island is really good for things like this. I was literally training in the 2nd best bodybuilding gym in the world ( Bev Francis Powerhouse ) as well as the swimming pool of the Good Will Games ( Nassau County Aquatic Center ) …

Long Island is a special place - i never regretted all the hours in traffic to get there, nor even the use of amphetamines. It was worth it.

1 Like
1 Like

heh, never heard a Marilyn Manson instrumental track before.

apparently it’s from Resident Evil soundtrack maybe that’s why.

doesn’t seem one of Manson’s better works, or maybe it just didn’t age well.

Halsey is a remarkably good looking … person

this is my first time listening to She/Her They/Them LOL

i kinda like the sound of this track though both the video and the lyrics seem to be on the basic side …