Broken ( 2012 )

4 stars

definitely a British movie, but a good one. kind of reminds me of “Trainspotting”

but whereas Trainspotting was about young people “Broken” is about three families on the same Cul-de-sac, each slightly dysfunctional in such a way that every time they interact things just keep getting worse …

if you ever wonder why people would rather live in a small home in a good neighborhood than a mansion in a ghetto - watch this movie and you will understand

the cul-de-sac in question is not a ghetto, but neither is it an upscale neighborhood. it’s a neighborhood where people are white but don’t quite have all their shit together. kind of like the neighborhoods i lived in myself both in Kiev, Ukraine and Brooklyn, NYC.

it is hard for me to escape this environment because i, myself, don’t quite have all my shit together.

at this point we have to talk about why every movie lately was 4 stars - there are reasons for this.

first of all i already watched every 5 star movie out there with exceptions of some like Clockwork Orange that i am reluctant to watch because my father is a Sadist and it would be hard to watch a movie about Sadism.

secondly when i watch a movie and it is bad i don’t want to waste your time reading a review just to learn it is 100% not worth watching. so for example yesterday i watched Blind ( 2014 )

but it was trash. i gave it 2 stars on MovieLens and did NOT review it here to save you time.

basically most movies that are less than 3 stars i won’t bother posting a review for, and most most 5 star movies i already reviewed - which is why you’re seeing so many 4 star ones now.

i fucking promise i don’t just give every movie 4 stars. and here is the proof: