Apocalypse Now ( 1979 )

4.5 stars

absolute classic legendary film

despite being over 40 years old does not really feel dated for the most part …

yes it is quite long but that’s because this movie really isn’t about any kind of plot ( there is none ) - instead, this movie is about painting a picture of the Vietnam war and if the movie was shorter it wouldn’t work

subtracted half a star for being unrealistic and over the top but the movie is philosophical and those details are ultimately unimportant …

however if the movie was made in 2019 ( like “Midsommar” ) and not in 1979 ( 40 years earlier ) like “Apocalypse Now” they probably would have cleaned up these details as standards are higher now …

so i must take that half a star off …

a must watch …

Watched it a while back…way back…maybe worth re-watching.

It is really about war and what we do when the leash is off. I remember Brando being mesmerising as Kurtz. It is long but you feel it needs the time.

it’s really about mental health and hypocrisy …

not hypocrisy in the lies we tell others but in the way we deal with our conscience …

not so much about the war but with the way we cope with it …

it’s an exploration of how people slowly lose their sanity while asking what is sanity in the first place ?

Maybe I really need to re-watch…because I bought into Kurtz too much.
Seems he had a death wish…he anted to be judged and Sheen’s character did just that.

I see what you mean about losing sanity…I agree…but it didn’t feel that way when I watched it back then…hmmm…

i watched an hour long ( two parts 30 min each ) analysis here ( spoilers )

but obviously that’s just the perspective of one person …

since you already saw it once what you can do is watch analysis first then watch movie again and see if you agree with the analysis.

if you want to waste 4 hours that is LOL