2024 Panamera Active Ride Demo ( impressive ! )

this is basically the same system Bose developed decades ago

but Bose couldn’t commercialize it whereas Porsche system is GOING INTO PRODUCTION

Porsche Active Ride runs on the 400 Volt power from the Plug-in Hybrid battery and is only available on the Plug-in Hybrid version for this reason. ( it will also be available on the 2025 Taycan which is a 800V EV )

perhaps the reason Bose couldn’t commercialize their system is because there were no plug-in Hybrids or EVs back then.

this goes back to my previous point about how electrification does have benefits but you don’t need to go full EV to gain most of them.

frankly this will make such a huge difference that once you try it everything else will feel busted by comparison.

better start saving money now because some day you won’t be able to get laid unless your car has this.

the difference between this and the 2-second acceleration @OldFriendSaysHello has in his Plaid is that this is something you will be using THE ENTIRE TIME you are driving whereas the 2-second acceleration is something you might be able to use once a month or so and then likely instantly regret it.

i will also note this is not the same tech as in low rider cars

low rider cars are hydraulic whereas Bose and Porsche systems are electromagnetic

it is similar to how cars went from Hydraulic steering to Electric steering - the purpose of the switch ( in case of steering ) was to improve efficiency

as for why Bose went with electromagnetic over hydraulic my guess is they couldn’t control hydraulics precisely enough for what they were trying to do with them OR that hydraulics were affecting ride quality …

regardless the stars have finally aligned and the two cars that have that tech are the updated Panamera and updated Taycan which both share the same platform … ( i expect Bentley to follow )

comparison of standard Panamera suspension and Active Ride

between the two videos ( this one and the one i started this thread with ) you should be able to gather that Active Ride at the same time is able to isolate road imperfections AND keep the car flat by an order of magnitude better than standard suspension, which itself is already some of the best on the market.

so it is able to simultaneously accomplish two things which most people consider mutually exclusive … and they ARE mutually exclusive … in PASSIVE systems …

this is as much a leap forward for suspensions as Tesla Model S was for Electric Cars - it wasn’t the first Electric Car - but it was the first electric car that wasn’t some kind of a practical joke.

i am 90% certain this system will next appear on Bentley which shares both the platform and plug in hybrid battery with the Panamera so it should be both mechanically and electrically compatible and also Bentley customers would likely be both interested in this system and able to afford it …

then my guess is by next generation Maybach and Rolls Royce will have to design their own versions or risk losing their customers to Bentley …

i can see this system in Range Rover’s future as well because with the high center of gravity it would really benefit from it …

not sure it will ever make it to cars below six-figure mark or to sports cars due to cost and weight considerations …

i have no idea how much weight it adds to the car, probably a fair bit, but luxury cars happily accept additional weight for smoother ride …