Hypothetical Optimum Training

from another thread:

so this is something i actually completely forgot about, because i currently train at a facility that has almost everything so i always train in the same physical location …

however one very good way to “split” your training would be to do full body workouts every time you train, but train at different facilities that will force a different workout on you …

so an example split:

mon - “hardcore” bodybuilding Gym
tue - Outdoor training ( park )
wed - YMCA
thur - Outdoor training ( beach )
fri - CrossFit box
sat - Outdoor training ( mountain hike )
sun - OFF

i just made that up as an example. you come up with your own version based on whatever is available in your area. for example maybe you can mountain bike in your area or maybe you can row a boat etc. whatever is popular in your area is probably worth trying.

the point is instead of splitting muscle groups you split physical locations / facilities and use each one to get as close to a full body workout as it allows.

of course if you notice for example that your legs are getting over-trained because they are getting hit by biking, running, hiking, bodybuilding and crossfit so like 5 times a week - you would modify your routine to address this. for example you could drop legs from your bodybuilding day as they would still be adequately trained on other days like your CrossFit days. or you could take the workouts that hit your legs the hardest and only do them every other week instead of every week etc.

the point is you don’t tell your body what to do - you listen to your body. you start by doing everything and then you back off where you need to.

actually there is a method in architecture ( which should be used more often ) where instead of designing pedestrian paths by arbitrarily drawing them on a site plan, you simply make a giant lawn and note where people destroy the grass with their footsteps - and that’s where you put the paved paths. in other words - you don’t tell people where to walk - you observe where they naturally do.

in “how i design my workout”

i explain you start with large brushes and finish with small ones. so to use that concept in our context here you start with something relatively immovable like a hike ( meaning, you can’t really control which muscles get hit on a hike ) and then you finish with bodybuilding workout where you have complete control over what muscles get hit and you just use it to fill in any gaps from the bigger “brushes” like hiking, swimming, biking or even CrossFit.

start with the big cinder blocks then fill in the gaps with mortar.

what most guys are doing is basically trying to build the entire house out of mortar ( isolation exercises ) without using any structural material. this is the house they end up building:

they are just too stupid to understand it.